2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

2 Likes

Move this conservation, not conversation lol

Nigerian scams have become more advanced but still can’t quite master English

Eyebooger’s point has some merit, but setting that aside, I agree with above mostly. In general, in that situation top 2 should both have bet it all.

If everyone is perfectly logical, then 3rd place knows this, and his bet of $999 is fine. However, because it is known that contestants make dumb bets on occasion, $999 was not the way to go.

So 3rd place’s bet is really the only terrible bet if you evaluated their bets before you saw the answers.

The stupidest part was the answers they gave. Sure, everyone has some holes in their trivia knowledge, but Tibet? It’s seems inconceivable that someone who went with that answer ended up on Jeopardy and was leading going into FJ with 12K+.

How many five year olds? I don’t know, I just hope this little fucker isn’t one of them.

1 Like

The Saudi program is a few years to a decade old I think. I’m not sure how effective it is. I’ve never heard any results.

Here’s Wood’s article about the propaganda machine process after the article got released

All journalism is an attempt to bring readers things they do not know, and all interviews with heads of state involve getting them to say things they wish they had not said. To elicit these utterances, one must approach the subject sideways—and, most of all, keep him talking, and reveal more than he intends to say. “Giving a platform”—to use the cliché that imprisons the minds of those who don’t know how journalism is done, or what its purpose is—is not a favor bestowed on important people. It is an invitation to walk the boards and fall through trap doors. And that is exactly what Saudi officials themselves, whose past two days have been spent desperately fluffing pillows for a soft landing below, seem to think their ruler did.

1 Like

Hey c’mon now it was a 60lb special needs student who pushed a tiny woman who hit her head, uh before she was savagely beaten while concussed but still

1 Like

LOOOOOOL

https://twitter.com/thewilderthings/status/1500960088533700610?s=21

14 Likes

Sometimes I love this forum so goddamn much.

1 Like

Omg this is better than the bodybuilder forum war about how many days are in a week

2 Likes

OMG THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT OF.

5 right? 5 days in the week. the weekend isn’t “the week” imo

Goddamn, that was incredible. Shaq was this close to re-inventing Zeno’s paradox. World-class trolling.

Its 8 days.

Sun
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun

1 Like

I would agree if not for the fact that the answers exposed that they are both bottom 10% Jeopardy players in Asian geography (and Tibet person bottom 1%).

Like if I were on Jeopardy and the FJ category was “20th century painters”, I’m 100% betting zero in that spot.

This situation forces yourself to ask, which is more likely:
A) I get it right.
B) The other person misses.

If A>B, bet it all. If B>A, bet 0.

For both players in the Asian geography game, the answer was clearly to bet 0.

ok now that’s just stupid and i want to punch any man who thinks that

theres 45.6 weeks in a year then?

its clearly 5

For the uninitiated

If I go every other day I will be at the gym 4-5 times a week, is that over training?

That makes no sense. There are only 7 days in a week. If you go every other day that is 3.5 times a week.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. That is 4 days.

2 Likes

Presented without comment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/lead-gasoline-blunted-iq-half-us-population-study-rcna19028

1 Like

In order to properly perform this analysis, they would have to be able to know that their opponent was an Asian geography donk or at least not great. Maybe they knew they were weak, but assumed their opponent was extremely strong (not sure how they would have ended up concluding that, but I suppose it is possible).

Counterpoint: People born after 1996 are also stupid.

2 Likes

The article says it’s 2.6 point decrease on average, but up to 7 points if you were born in the 60’s or 70’s. That means you can recover up to 4.4 points between say 1965 and 1996, or a little over 2 points per decade. Since it’s now 26 years after 1996 you’d have recovered an additional 5 points, putting you ahead of the average. So it’s better to start with a deficit because you have more room to improve.