2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

The real criminal is whoever painted that car that colour

I suck at posting

2 Likes

I’m not great either, to be honest. Maybe we could start some sort of group.

I’ll start. "I’m d2_e4 and I am a total c***, I apologise, what I meant is that I am a pretty bad poster.

Your turn, Ruse.

1 Like

Note to self: post less.

Note to you - fuck you.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/WANDTVDoug/status/1490061888750764040

4 Likes

I seem to be in the minority with people I’m talking to on this so I’d like UPs collective opinion.

I work for a company that uses Kronos for payroll. Kronos, as many of you may know, got hacked early December rendering payroll non-existent for a couple months. In the meantime, we scrambled to find an alternative method of timekeeping to ensure people got paid.

Unfortunately, the alternative method was incredibly flawed and there were two very common issues. One of these issues overpaid people. The other underpaid them. (FWIW, the majority of people were overpaid quite a bit.)

So here’s my ethical dilemma. Let’s say an associate got underpaid week 1 $100. Week two they got overpaid $200. The overpayment was a mistake and not related to an offset check that we are doing to correct underpayments. Do we have an obligation to fix the underpayment from week 1 or does the overpayment error the following week render it moot?

I’m not sure I’m understanding - in your example wouldn’t $100 need to be deducted from the employee’s next payment? What’s the other way to do it - repay them $100 and then deduct $200? What purpose would that serve?

1 Like

If I understand this correctly, the associate was overpaid a net of $100.

I don’t think it matter how you accomplish that. Either by one single adjustment or by two separate adjustments (one for each week).

If week 1 and week 2 occurred in a different calendar year, then I think you probably should address them separately, but you might be limited in your ability to make corrections retroactive to a prior year. I definitely don’t know the details on that.

Do you have an obligation to fix the underpayment if there was no overpayment? Do you have an obligation to fix the overpayment if there was no underpayment?

Is your company’s policy to make people whole for underpayments but to let the overpayments slide? Are they lenient if the situation involves $100 and $200, but not if they were significantly larger?

I don’t think the company is planning on recouping overpayments. Corporate sent out something saying any discrepancies should be reported but my store has almost 200 employees. I’m not about to force every single associate to pull up their paychecks so I can determine if they were overpaid.

As far as I’m concerned, if someone was overpaid and corporate can’t figure out their mistake and get the money back, that’s on them.

But I will tear my hair out ensuring anyone I think that was underpaid gets what they worked for in that week

1 Like

Is it part of your job description to be part of the process for corporate figuring out their payroll mistakes? If so, I suppose the ethical thing is to do your job, even if it costs the associate an extra $100 in overpayment. If it’s not part of your job, then why would you have an ethical dilemma?

It’s fair to correct the underpayments and let the overpayments slide. It’s fair to apply overpayments as the correction to underpayments. You just have to use the same rules for everyone.

lol not even close. I’m a department manager at a supermarket. This, imo, should absolutely be handled by corporate but they clearly have far more important things to do. It’s fallen to me mostly because I’m far more capable of figuring out this shitshow then any other manager. It probably should be handled by the HR manager but she was out on medical leave when all this went down and I’ve kinda been a de facto backup.

https://twitter.com/IChotiner/status/1490496189342498816?t=BG2El4Vawwy7TJXIYPC6Ww&s=19

Lol, amazing.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/amateuradam/status/1490394034900197388

7 Likes

Anyone who doesn’t read the whole tweet thread is probably gonna get the wrong idea.

Hopefully people are intrigued enough by the lede to delve deeper.

Well it worked on me and I’d say my rate of reading whole threads is between 5 to 10%.

FYI this would be illegal under California law. You can’t just deduct overpayments from paychecks.