2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

He seems like a terrible actor but I still like a lot of his movies so I don’t really care.

Keanu not Val

no, I have wanted to, but I still kinda don’t want to see him dealing with the effects of throat cancer and the voice box and all that - I read a really great op-ed or blog post, can’t remember, about a chronically ill guy who found so much inspiration in val’s portrayal of doc holliday, he said (and I agree) that it was the first time that he’d ever seen someone sickly/disabled being sexy and cool and heroic in film, and val pulled it off perfectly - so I have to guess he’s dealing with it gracefully, but idk, it’s just hard to watch

Agree with this except the part about liking his movies

Or with him in the White House.

(Which is also tragedy adjacent, but not in the way I think you intended)

1 Like

Agree with that, which is why took me so long, and I’m really glad I finally watched.

1 Like

Keanu Reeves is a one note actor because whenever he tries other notes it goes very badly.

Scarlett Johansson has the exact same acting range as Keanu and I often wonder if they’ve ever been in a movie together and I’ve seen it but can’t remember any of it because it’s just 90 minutes of of them staring blankly and not emoting.

2 Likes

street kings is a niche keanu movie that’s insanely good, with a forest whitaker appearance too

2 Likes

If you want to see a so-bad-it’s-good Keanu movie, watch “The Lake House” and then listen to the “How Did This Get Made” episode on it.

“It’s the way he would have wanted to go out.”

I have strep throat for first time ever. This shit is no joke. Feels like gargling razor blades. I’d take covid again over this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Any tips?

One dose of over the counter mylanta mixed with one dose of liquid (children’s) benadryl is my go to sore throat quick fix. Doesn’t last long. Also stuff like slurpees and stuff

1 Like

is the gargling salt water remedy a wives tale? can confirm strep is the fucking worst, esp when it comes with the fever symptoms

1 Like

Gargling some cheap liquor usually helps me.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1585434102081064960

this is nuts, he’s been nowhere close for so long. He’s known for tearing up 1500 page completed manuscripts and starting over, so I have no idea what to believe, but he seems to be honing in on it. In recent years I’ve had a lot more empathy for him because I’m not sure he really expected this work to blow up like it did and seems to want to work on other things but people hound him nonstop to finish it so he’s doing it.

I started reading in 2005 and we were still on feast for crows iirc, i’d read them at work all day every day and my coworkers would make fun of me. At barnes and noble, I had bought the first book (written 30 years ago) and then came back to buy the rest of the set, and the cashier told me he’d seen that happen before so many times and wanted to know more about the series. It had never been a consideration in my brain that more than 20 years later I’d still be waiting for the same cliffhangers.

1 Like

no idea, people don’t tolerate this usually.

How ‘Ye doin’?

I’m survivin’

Was at Sketchers earlier

Now I’m cryin’

(I stole this)

3 Likes

I have always been a bit of a fantasy nerd but read the stuff that is objectively bad like RA Salvatore. I remember when I first got clued in to Game of Thrones, it would have been around 2007. My wife was finishing her residency and had a lot of studying to do in prep for final licensing exams. Anyway we would regularly go to the coffee shop in the book store near the apartment we were renting at the time. I remember buying the book and settling in with a chai latte at the coffee shop, reading the first couple of chapters while she was studying and just thinking “holy shit, this is outrageously good”. I also remember a few days later when I got to Chapter 8 and Jaime threw Bran out the window. I was literally stunned. For me that was “the moment” when I was hooked for life.

1 Like

Ah man, I liked RA salvatore’s star wars stuff a lot. like a looooot. I also clearly remember the bran moment.