2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Fair. But that is just a scaling issue. It’s inevitable it will become way cheaper and more closely replicate meat at which point many will switch. This will have huge health and climate benefits.

I don’t think that is inevitable at all. I have no faith in positive outcomes from idealized human behaviors and we could end up with the only remaining food options being bland, heavily processed plant based food that is very unhealthy instead.

Pessimism. Pass it on.

3 Likes

Poor people already are given bland, heavily processed food that very unhealthy. If the economics changes so that plant based garbage is cheaper than processed meat garbage, then that’s what poor people will get.

Right now the plant based food growth seems constrained because it is being driven by affluent types that are trying to remove “excess” meat from their diets. But it’s not a given that this will always be the market.

My contribution to the intermittent but also interminable housing discussion.

Kitchen view for critique.

Dunno if Putin-style table included.

1 Like

This is me. I tried the fake meat stuff from a grocery store, it tasted like ass. Now when we try to do meatless meals we just do regular vegetarian stuff, no fake meat needed. These fake meat companies also have to be good enough to be chosen over regular vegetarian meals.

1 Like

That’s a very naughty kitchen

3 Likes

I am in a similar position to you, I’d mostly rather just eat vegetarian food. I like tofu, but I also know how to cook tofu. A lot of consumers don’t know how to cook and a lot of them will limit themselves to food prep that is as simple as grilling a burger. The plant based burgers are actually a success on this metric - you can grill or fry a plant based burger and it’s just as easy as a meat burger. But if you take tofu, slice it and cook it in a pan with salt and pepper, it’s not going to be any good.

After many years of debate, I’ve finally figured out who will build the roads… Tech bros who pay for Ubers from NYC to Philly b/c they need to conduct super special zoom calls that can’t be done on the train.

https://twitter.com/martinvars/status/1584650968368545793?t=PGhM6TtMLhHzMawMWX9bLQ&s=19

Eta: if you really need to pay for a car service to take you on this trip, fine, but complaining about the tolls [which, based on comments to the tweet, include the tolls for a return trip since the driver is probably not going to be able to grab a return fare], is pretty wild.

Lol that’s such a lie that route is impossible

My Alma mater continues to be a joke

I tried the plant based fake burgers and they were alright, but the nutrition is similar to a ground beef burger. Now I eat veggie burgers that aren’t trying to hide that they’re made of beans/rice/mushroom etc and they taste great as a burger with cheese broiled on top and a fried egg.

https://twitter.com/ostonox/status/1584913370687365120?s=20&t=fMhxivDhGNEYH4ztZMRBXA

Penn State gonna Penn State

https://twitter.com/andybcampbell/status/1584892335070248960?s=46&t=g8GFf2acHHdEPL0-WdxZUg

Is anyone making a burger that is half beef and half plant-based?

1 Like

This is what I do with milk. Half cow. Half almond.

I’ve seen restaurants that make their own mix in house (usually by adding sauted onions and mushrooms into the beef)

Also, these folks are spinning up a commercial product, but I don’t think they have wide distribution.

Let’s assume all the critiques are valid. Why did they have to demand the film be removed from several festivals?

At worst their critiques warrant a discussion not pulling the films.

Anyway I highly recommend you listen. I will be shocked if you come out after doing so thinking she did anything wrong.

1 Like

Fair but the first hour is highly enjoyable and not about the film really. Her life history is one of the most amazing I have heard.

She basically sees all the racism post 9/11 and decides to spend a decade travelling Muslim countries to understand something she didn’t understand. It’s one of the best examples of cultural understanding I have ever heard.

1 Like

New FoxNews narrative about trans athletes—they don’t just want to break all the records set by real girls, they want to murder all their opponents!

trans_spiker

I want to buy a backgammon board for the house. Something with a unique design like this…

$40 shipping from Greece though. Anyone have recommendations?