2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I found it funny how we went from cable tv, to individual subscriptions for a million streaming services, back to services like hulu who are bundling all those subscriptions together under one platform, sorta like… cable. Lol.

Does anyone have any ideas why I have read receipts on even though it’s shown as off on my iOS settings? I’m baffled.

Right and to “save money” but now we’re all spending at least 2x as much but can’t even keep track of WTF we’re actually spending close enough to even actually know for sure.

You can buy most things straight from hulu now. I had separate disney+ and hbo/showtime subscriptions, but, they’re making it easier and easier to combine them all under 1 thing. unfortunately I’m not billed all at once but I have a pretty good idea what I’m spending - it’s ~150 for all my streaming entertainment and that’s a number pretty close to what I’d pay for cable anyway so I’m good. I hate cable, hulu is a nice interface and comes with DVR (although its interface on devices like smart tv’s has a ton of problems, namely speed).

I’d always prefer hulu over traditional cable if not only for the fact I can watch it on my phone, any computer, any tv, etc. Just have to log in.

another plus is cable forces you to pay for certain channels you’d never watch, whereas I find something like hulu much more a la carte.

“Biggest event in television history”

Did these people not see Dre and Snoop at the Super Bowl halftime show?

1 Like

Democracy dies in darkness.

1 Like

Isn’t this sort of what Apple News is?

Hmm, yes. That seems to be exactly what Apple News is. No NYT or WaPo tho.

1 Like

coulda sworn i got nyt on mine, weird, I’m getting nyt from some feed……

one thing i hate about my apple news is linking the story tries to send the apple news link, no, I want the actual link, but it’s a pain in the ass to do so, probably on purpose. facebook does a similar thing.

But without commercials.

They just need to charge 25 cents to read something (paypal instant checkout) instead of trying to charge $5/month

1 Like

I always thought Jack Dorsey should have used Square/CashApp as a way to turn Twitter into a micropayments service for paywalled links. In other words, if a link is posted on Twitter to, say the New York Times and you want to read the article, once you click the link you have are either signed in with your subscription (if you have one), OR you can purchase the single article for a very small fee using your CashApp (which is linked to your Twitter profile).

this seems obvious, the reason it hasn’t happened must be that Dorsey is dumber than we think

https://twitter.com/djpooh/status/1571823519780188161?s=46&t=E699YYJGEJ2h5u570U6WrA

That would be the end of investigative journalism because only click-bait articles and gossip about the Kardashians will be profitable under that business model.

1 Like

Maybe. I’m also pretty dumb, so I’m willing to accept the possibility that there is some sort of technical hurdle that I’m not aware of and/or that media outlets are less willing to buy in to this type of model than I think they should be. At any rate, I’ve been yelling about this for years, so I’d be shocked if the idea hadn’t been floated to him by someone at some point.

I actually disagree with the concept of micropayments for single article reads. I can’t imagine people wanting to be literally nickled-and-dimed while looking at the headlines of news articles.

you could $5/month or 25 cents an article.

well they clearly don’t want to buy a years subscription to the toledo bee just to read one article

1 Like

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1571972600527749120?s=20&t=aEkZTEpK4f0hTbmqrV1pFg