2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I was thinking about this also. I think that it depends on how much height you add. You could probably get away with 3 inches and not have the effect be that noticeable. 6 inches might be enough that this weirdness of this effect counteracts the advantage gained by the height to some extent (or even completely).

Also what mosdef said.

what the fuck iowa

I don’t want to shock and alarm you, but America really hates women.

I was going to make some snide comment that I was surprised they didn’t throw her in jail but apparently she did spend time in juvie.

The law is the law. Fuck off judge. How about you get a spine and say no, make me

The law is the law when it’s being wielded against a powerless young black woman. The law is :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: when the subject is a conclusively guilty rich white man. 'Merica.

she was supposed to get like 20 years too but the judge deferred it.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1570731318572634112?s=20&t=dak_ShyQ4GYYvipjfIr3fQ

Yikes. Wonder if it’s the same cladding issue that was a big problem in Dubai a few years back. High rises just aren’t supposed to burn like that.

the video from an apartment is chilling

yeah, makes me really kinda scared for wooden skyscrapers they are trying to build.

I wish I felt a modicum of happiness that my fellow office employees feel when they get free terrible bbq catered. I just feel dread that I have to stand in line and force small talk. LOLOFFICES.

2 Likes

THis is a weirdly timed post considering the office building on fire 3 posts above.

3 Likes

Those are built with laminated lumber that’s hard to ignite and burns slowly. The problematic cladding has plastic cores that are far more flammable than they should be and fires can rip all the way up the side of a building in a very short period.

2 Likes

btw, i read some comments that the telecom skyscraper went up when its backup generator fuel ignited. yikes. not feeling great about sitting above a basement with 35 tonns of diesel.

Jesus Christ that’s horrifying.

It does seem to be the outer wall. This report says the fire is out and no casualties, though literally zero casualties sounds unlikely.

eta: The thumbnail of people falling and running is not really from the video.

Authorities said that as of 4:20 p.m. local time (4:20 a.m. ET), the fire had been put out and there were no known casualties, according to Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.

what the hell

https://twitter.com/wifeguyfieri/status/1570602866074882048

1 Like

i wanna see the full video now, lol

i use sweet potatoes as a meat substitute in this killer vegan chili I made up. it isn’t bad