2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Suddenly the Koch brothers don’t seem so bad

https://i.imgur.com/aBKwD3s.png

Seems legit you lucky bastard!

1 Like

At first I thought this was a complaint about the weather.

https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/1566459708235550722?s=20&t=c95UmOlaDRpu4yOu_sY1WA

1 Like

took me a long time to figure out what was wrong with that picture

1 Like

Only way they could make it worse is to photoshop an airplane in it

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/x5kw4k/accidentally_took_a_tribal_loan_with_an_apr_of/

653% APR…

Guess that is what happens when the twenty-year-old intern running your social media googles an Image for „80s in NYC“.

5 Likes

Yeah I didn’t post or mention the video specifically because of the life insurance. The fact is that McDonald’s corporate really went hard in the paint to blackball this device which is one reason why it’s impossible they’re not in on it somehow. They were actively involved in killing this thing while working behind the scenes to blatantly rip it off and release a clone.

This video goes places, quality miniature & diorama craftmanship. May this channel live long.

"I used this plumbing fitting. It’s about a 22 mm or six twenty two twelfths as an American might say.

They do things differently in America: they take something as simple as measuring and make it as convoluted as humanly possible.

Then take something as complicated as politics and make it as easy as possible, they even color-coded it: You got the blue team who get very upset when you don’t agree with everything they say, and the red team who appear to be unwilling to do much if anything about children getting shot in the face while they’re trying to learn. Having said that, they do know how to make a good hamburger."

1 Like

Back when I used to work at Panera Bread this used to happen any time something broke

Me: Hey can we fix the broken panini press? it’s really slowing us down only having one that works.
Manager: We already maxed out our repair budget this quarter
Me: Oh ok when does the new quarter begin?
Manager: New one just started 5 days ago, so about 85 days.

I will defend to the death the superiority of 2, 3 and 4 as factors for the normal, everyday stuff people do all the time. We use them so often we have dedicated words for it - half, quarter, double, triple. This is how we interact with the human world.

Ever cut a pizza into 10 slices? Ever danced to Dave Brubeck’s Take Five? No, you have not. When is the last time you needed 10x or 1/10th of something?

#195 USAians are well-known for defending stupid shit (to the death) and not finding common ground with rest of the world. Par for the course.

Mesmerizing

This doesn’t seem to be a good fit for the Economy thread or the Books thread, so it goes here.

In 1999, he thought the book could end by discussing what Francis Fukuyama called “the end of history”—the idea, popularized in a book of the same name, that the fall of communism heralded the final triumph of democracy and free-market neoliberal economics. “There were these huge ideological struggles, but now we’ve kind of got it ,” DeLong said, describing his mindset at the turn of the millennium. “There’s going to be some future alternation between right neoliberalism, left neoliberalism, and social democracy.” But then came 9/11 and the global War on Terror. “People seemed to be about to start killing each other in large numbers about religion,” DeLong said. Moreover, he added, “most of what we Clintonites had actually managed to do in terms of whacking economic policy into what we saw as a good state was to enable another round of tax cuts for the rich and another round of plutocracy.” And then came President Barack Obama and the “enormous failure to actually implement what I had thought was the standard playbook we’d learned in the Great Depression,” DeLong said.

In time, DeLong concluded that neoliberalism and social democracy would not be gently taking turns. In political terms, the future instead would be about the “return of something that Madeleine Albright called fascism , and who am I to tell her not to,” he said. And in economic terms, it would be about high inequality, low productivity, and slow growth. “We may have solved the problem of production,” DeLong told me. “We certainly have not solved the problem of distribution, or of utilizing our extraordinary, immense wealth to make us happy and good people.”

Article about the author of this book, which will be released Tuesday.

Before 1870, humanity lived in dire poverty, with a slow crawl of invention offset by a growing population. Then came a great shift: invention sprinted forward, doubling our technological capabilities each generation and utterly transforming the economy again and again. Our ancestors would have presumed we would have used such powers to build utopia. But it was not so. When 1870–2010 ended, the world instead saw global warming; economic depression, uncertainty, and inequality; and broad rejection of the status quo.

Yes, I have, liar. It’s not easy, but I have.

When is the last time you needed 10x or 1/10th of something?

One year in the 90s

1 Like

But was it fun?

Of course! It was silly!

To elaborate, most Lindy hoppers dance 1, 2, 3-a-4, 5, 6, 7-a-8. To dance to Take 5, you can go 1, 2, 3-a-4-a-5, 6, 7, 8-a-9-a-10, slipping two extra steps into the extra beat so that you end up on the original foot to step on one again. Even knowing that, you can still get tripped up, and what to do with yourself for that extra one beat with two steps isn’t obvious in an improvisational dance, but it’s manageable, and silly enough for at least once, perhaps once in a while.

1 Like

I think it might work as a sort of syncopated waltz that followed the piano.

Sorta 1, 2, 3; 4-a-5 as your two sets of 3 steps? I can hear the rhythm that way, but the music doesn’t seem to match the usual stodgy elegance of the typical waltz.