2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Sort of, I’ve seen the lawsuits about the devices that read the diagnostic codes and stuff, it seems wild

Great cliffs, but it seems like for this to make sense there needs to be some connection between McDonald’s and Taylor. Why does McDonald’s want Taylor to rob their franchises?

Reminds me of the John Deere right to repair saga, where only authorized John Deere dealerships can read/reset the error codes

That’s a bit different because it’s obvious why John Deere would want John Deere to be the only one to do the overpriced repairs. It’s not clear (to me) why McDonalds would want Taylor to be the only one to do the overpriced repairs.

I believe that’s the allegation, that McDonald’s benefits from this arrangement, either via kickbacks, or a percentage of the repair fees franchises pay.

Good article on the undemocratic parts of American democracy, especially gerrymandering.

Partisan redistricting often favors rural areas. Obviously, the Senate and the Electoral College do this, too. One thumb on that scale is what is called prison gerrymandering. There are more than a million incarcerated convicts in the land of the free. Except in Maine, Vermont, and D.C., none can vote. But in many states, for purposes of congressional apportionment, they are counted as residents of the district in which they are imprisoned.

Seabrook says that seventy per cent of prisons built since 1970 are in rural areas, and that a disproportionate number of the people confined in them come from cities. Counting those prisoners in apportionment enhances the electoral power of rural voters. It’s a little like what happened after Emancipation. A Southern state could now count formerly enslaved residents as full persons, rather than as three-fifths of a person, and was reapportioned accordingly. Then it disenfranchised them.

And another example of “I never really thought about it but this is pretty obvious”:

You might think that you can’t gerrymander a Senate seat, but the United States Senate itself is a product of gerrymandering. One factor that determined whether a new state would be admitted to the Union was which political party was likely to benefit. We have two Dakotas in part because Republicans were in power in Washington, and they figured that splitting the Dakota territory in two would yield twice as many new Republican senators.

For there’s nothing natural about states. Portions of what is now Wyoming were, at various times, portions of the territories of Oregon, Idaho, Dakota, Nebraska, and Utah. Before 1848, much of Wyoming was Mexican. Before that, it was Spanish. We don’t have Wyoming because people living within the territory felt a special affinity, a belief that they shared a “Wyoming way of life,” and somebody said, “These folks should have their own state.” To the extent that Wyoming residents feel stately solidarity, it’s because the federal government created Wyoming (and two more Republican senators), not the other way around.

4 Likes

I’d have a hard time not believing that if they just plain asserted it, but I assume they’ve got some evidence also. I’d imagine such a thing is hard to hide for a publicly traded company. Maybe @spidercrab can help us out.

This guy hates Walmart.

I kind of get it. I check their site to see if they have what I want but when I get there it’s not in the aisle it’s supposed to be in. I find it but the shelf price might be different than I expected- hard to tell bc the label codes on the shelf don’t match the product. In their app you can scan the bar code so I check the price there. Oh, cool the price is different but lower! When I get to the self-checkout though, the price I’m charged is different again, now higher than expected. Well I drove here so fuck it, I buy it anyway. Later, I get an email requesting a review of my shopping experience so I fill it out bc by now I hate myself as much as I hate them.

The video upthread describes the decades long relationship between Taylor and McDonald’s and the strange fact that Taylor manufactures machines for several other fast food companies that don’t break down constantly. The hourly rate for technicians starts at $115 for the first 30 minutes and $330 every 15 minutes after that. Again, see the video. Seriously, watch the video and maybe browse a few articles before you ask others to go down the rabbit hole for you.

1 Like

My millionaire workaholic uncle is also a prepper.

We laugh behind his back about it because many of us would rather die in the explosion than be in a bunker with him.

Kind of like 9/11 for poor people

#NeverForgetWalmartsSuperSale

1 Like

I was just hoping someone had watched that or any other relevant material and could give me a one sentence answer. Yes I’m lazy. Guilty as charged. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lol billionaires

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re asking for. You want me to provide you with the confidential terms of the exclusivity contract that exists between Taylor Corporation and McDonald’s that no one has access to? You have to guess that part. That’s the whole point of this story. I’ll go ahead spoiler it for you though: McDonald’s corporate isn’t throwing money away just for reasons.

1 Like

Be ready next year …

1629481574-9225

1 Like

I’m not even sure what I’m asking for really.

I guess if McDonalds (stupidly) signed an exclusive contract with Taylor, which involves their franchises getting hosed but McDonalds doesn’t benefit, then that’s pretty dumb, but I don’t think it’s unethical.

On the other hand, if they signed such a contract but there are kickback to McDonalds, then that’s bad. I guess if it is legal or not is a different issue. I know that in other scenarios there are ways to structure deals that are perfectly legal, but provide the same incentive structure as a direct kickback.

It sounds like we’re saying that it’s the latter scenario. Obviously you wouldn’t have the contract, but maybe a whistleblower or former employee has spoken on the matter.

Agreed. That’s is absolutely my assumption at this point. I’m just curious if there is a smoking gun yet. I’m sure it will be uncovered eventually.

Lot going on here

https://twitter.com/jackkennedy/status/1566261372010303488?s=21&t=rxi_4VDxBtcTtuyfwSwHxQ

America is a crazy fucking place

1 Like

Damn, this is dark.

This isn’t even remotely plausible.

1 Like

I didn’t get all the way through the video bc of the life insurance commercial but my guess was someone inside McDonalds was getting a kickback from the Mr. Frosty Corp or McDs isn’t paying them protection money but it sounds like it’s bigger than that.