2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

250px-That's_a_paddlin'

13 Likes

The „Austrian backed“ King of Bulgaria was also of the house oh Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha. Fun fact: his grandson, was the last Bulgarian Tsar as a child and became Bulgaria‘s Prime Minister almost 70 years later with the last name Sakskoburggotski

2 Likes

Anyone here do a borrowers defense for student loans? My wife’s old school just popped up on a list of schools where it seems pretty straightforward to get money back.

if you pay attention to the nudges it gives you, yt does a 3-month free premium promotion. i am in the last month of the trial, because i wanted a better experience while i try to modify my online habits. i am convinced that it is indeed worth it

1 Like

https://studentaid.gov/borrower-defense/

It’s pretty intense, you have to pick the category of what the school did wrong and justify it.

.My mood right now

@j8i3h289dn3x7

At Pop Century, a “value” hotel at the Orlando resort, the cheapest room rate rose to $168 this year from $95 in 2013. At the deluxe Animal Kingdom Lodge, a standard room now costs as much as $790 a night, versus up to $486 a decade ago.

And animal kingdom is…not good. At all.

Paying rack rate for a deluxe hotel at Disney World is insanity. I would certainly never do that, and never have.

I live on an island where a ferry is required to get on or off.I have an older 2003 Subaru and use it to get up a really steep long dirt road I live on. It finally broke down on me. I pulled it off the side of the road and flipped hazards on. Walked back to my house to get my truck and a tow rope. Grab the wife and kid because I need someone to be in the Subaru while I pull it.
When I return after maybe 10-15 minutes the volunteer fire department is there with lights flashing. They have also called the sheriff for some reason. I let them know that just my transmission has went out and I’m going to tow it up the road. After some arguing they decide to call off the sheriff.

I hook tow row up and then I realize I don’t have a key for the Subaru. Lots of people gathered around by this point. I somehow lost the only key on my walk back to truck. I once again have to argue with the volunteer department on how I can’t tow the subaru without the key in the ignition. They finally leave and I spent 3 hours walking back and forth looking for the key. I never found it. Had a key made today and pulled it back. I’m moving back to civilization.

9 Likes

Whatever happened to the all American experience of staying at a mediocre roadside motel?? You can stay 3 nights over Labor Day weekend near Disney for like $190. Get some rollouts for the kids if needed.

1 Like

Cheap motels are really gross. It’s hard to pretend humans aren’t revolting even in a generic chain business hotel. It’s impossible when you get under $100 a night (or even $150 a night these days).

Yeah the cheap hotels have actually gone way downhill since covid, I’ve never seen so many one star reviews on some of these places that have clearly just given up, yet people gotta sleep somewhere.

I do have a weird nostalgia for roadside motels with gross pools from family road trip vacations though.

2 Likes

Amphetamines would likely make the Disney World experience more appealing for me. Also would save money on overpriced concessions.

6 Likes

Got my first ever case of bedbugs in a cheap motel in PA last year, boy that was not fun. I really should treat myself to a decent hotel but I’m a damn cheapskate sometimes.

You married? Getting married will fix that pretty quick.

1 Like

:vince2:

2 Likes

Given some of the cheap motels I stayed at in AC back in the day while playing $1/$2 and $2/$5, it’s a miracle I never got bed bugs. I became an expert on making Belgian waffles tho.

I’m the opposite with almost a PTSD from the perpetually noisy, smelly, stained and damaged holes we stayed in on our family trips.

The place at a minimum needs to be clean, quiet and safe. On the road trips over the past several years with my kids that generally starts at $135 a night but will climb depending on the location and time of year ofc. But damn if it isn’t worth it even if it’s one of those soulless Hilton Suites or whatever.

I was very ill a few months ago and limping home from vegas, rest stop to rest stop in the desert before I finally gave up in barstow at a ramada. Believe it or not there’s like a stretch of 200 miles from vegas to LA with absolutely zero lodging (or at least places that even I am not brave enough to stay). Well, probably won’t be doing that again, but when you’re weary and desperate for lodging, sometimes the shittiest barstow ramada is paradise. I had a very nice evening there, lol. got really baked and watched shitty cable and ate burger king. $70 or something way too expensive for what it was.

ETA: i have a fairly high tolerance for misery, it was definitely a horrifying room. there were visible jizz stains on the furniture

Well I’ll take a well run, clean motel with some character over the soulless hotel chains, but most motels are pretty damn gross, so that’s understandable

1 Like