2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

My fondest memories of Disneyland as a kid are of Tom Sawyer’s Island, which is just a little park with some play structures.

2186956_orig-2626212035

15 Likes

My clearest memory of going to Disney World in 1989 is that they had an “Energy ride” where they made you watch a documentary about the magesty of the Exxon Valdez. Is that still there?

2 Likes

Tom Sawyer kissing Becky Thatcher was pretty hot.

yeah that’s totally valid but nobody thinks that star wars is a fake version of “real” stuff

1 Like

Universe of Energy closed down a few years ago and was just replace by Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, which legitimately might be the best roller coaster ever created.

https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/status/1562212590364700672

2 Likes

LOL…my daughter received her Philosophy degree from the U of Chicago and went on to become the youngest junior admin in a fairly sizeable NYC non-profit.

However, during her last two years of college I’d tell people who asked that she was a math major (her prior major), because I was tired of dipshits rolling their eyes and making jokes about her becoming a barista.

1 Like

Disney World is so much better it’s not even funny, shame it’s in shitty Florida

Philosophy is legit. I don’t think I have ever met a dumb philosophy major. And the vast majority are way above average intelligence.

1 Like

https://philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/journalist-matthew-yglesias

6 Likes

I’ve never met him.

1 Like

this is actually a thing, philosophy majors outscore pretty much everyone else on iq scores sorted by major

I have. He’s a very smart dude. I just thought the folks around here would appreciate the random shot at him

Of all the engineering grads I knew in college, I think one stayed in engineering*. He’s a professor. He was probably the brightest one. Also probably one of the poorest.

*I’m not counting jobs where you happen to be managing some engineers, but aren’t actually doing any engineering

God this is so correct. Think they have it all figured out making $80k out of school. They then make that plus 2% until retirement.

The only engineer I know is out in Iowa and they have him in sales now, selling his company’s water treatment plans to different municipalities. Sounds pretty sucky.

I thought that would skew the results but the survey excludes people with higher degrees so I imagine the philosophy to JD people aren’t counted.

Well maybe for some. See above. Lots of them don’t actually do that. The management consulting to business school route is a common off ramp into something else.