2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Power went out at my house tonight during a pretty strong storm, but… it didn’t go completely out. Some of my LED light bulbs were still on, very dimly, and flickering. But only some of them. Most of them were completely out. I guess this means there was still some voltage in the lines, but most of the bulbs have voltage regulators that can’t function below some critical voltage level? But some of them can?

I don’t have any old incandescents FWIW.

Some old friends would host all night bad movie marathons periodically. This was part of the first one I went to. Hoooooooooo boy I can’t imagine watching this again except for the purpose of making new friends suffer through it.

It wasn’t as bad as Sargent Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, starring, no, not the Beatles, but Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees, though.

1 Like

There’s quite a variety of led driver circuits so the range of input voltages they can work at may vary too. But even if all your bulbs are identical, the input voltages might be different depending on what else is on the circuit they’re on.

Edit: deleted guesswork.

Xanadu was the very first song I ever downloaded, and Sandy was about the sexiest character I can remember. What a legend.

1 Like

Many LED’s need minuscule amounts of voltage to turn on or at least flicker. I wired my home with smart switches about 10 years ago. In some of my switch boxes there is no neutral wire, so there was a kind of smart switch that essentially uses the load line as the neutral. It passes a tiny amount of voltage through the line so the smart switch is powered. With incandescent this was no problem, since it wasn’t enough power to do anything to them. However I can’t put LED’s on those lines because they would turn on or flicker. It’s annoying.

I don’t know if this is a Canada thing but can someone (@CaffeineNeeded) explain the absolute awful way doctors give test results. They don’t call you if there is nothing wrong but if they do call you they refuse to tell you anything leaving you in an intense state of worry for a week waiting for an appointment to hear what was found.

How can there not be a better way than this?

1 Like

It’s all doctors here to my knowledge. This post was prompted by my dad who lives in a different city than me.

Interesting. They don’t do that here. Literally if the results are ok you just never hear back leaving you wondering between ok and they fell through the crack.

You can get them later via an app we have.

1 Like

Not a USA thing. Cures act requires online access to results.

It’s classic paternalistic medicine

1 Like

First the alligator hunter and now Olivia Newton-John; it truly has been a rough 16 years for Australia. Crossing my fingers that Paul Hogan and Peter Jackson are well and healthy.

1 Like

My wife:

1. Receive online results
  2. Google every word
  3. I am dying
6 Likes

It will be some cricket player you’ve never heard of.

Wtf is this shit

legit thought crocodile dundee was dead

Manufactured engagement.

3 Likes

I can’t believe my final exam leaked

5 Likes

Pretty sure this is one of those riddles where the horse turns out to be your dad or something.

2 Likes

What is that question from? Is that supposed to be hard?

Let’s see what the board thinks the answer is:

• The man made $20
  • I am bad at math
  • I am really bad at math
  • I am really really bad at math
  • I suck bad at math

0 voters

index

2 Likes