This is just journalistic malpractice. Several people said a thing on the internet? They might have just been trolling? As a media consumer I have not idea if this is actually a thing or not. It’s just signal boosting dumb facebook drama because that’s an easy story to tell. Maybe there’s a populist backlash against Impossible meat. But maybe not? I have no clue.
Someone posted about Beyond Burger prices on the Costco subreddit and there were hundreds of furious responses.
But on the other hand, I would not bet against some cattle ranchers association paying to make sure there’s a big grass-roots anti-meat replacement response anytime the subject is discussed. But it definitely seems like the kind of thing MAGAs would be mad about.
Cracker Barrel is well known in the community of people living in their vehicles as a place that lets you park overnight (unlike most “public” spaces).
I’ve noticed for a while that cashiers at certain stores don’t say “Next!” anymore. Instead they say “Following!” I assume that they’ve been trained to do this. But is this considered more polite, and why?
My sister works as the highest tier of customer service representative for Disney corp. She was telling me about all the training she has dealing with people that are often some of the most difficult people on planet earth - I could never do it. When I drove a boat in an affluent area, people often made the mistake of assuming I had to be polite like it was a grocery store or some other customer facing thing. I was overworked and often irritable so many times I’d correct people that were out of line and clutching pearls if I didn’t show the proper deference to them (or just called them an asshole outright) that this was transportation, not retail, and my only responsibility to them was to get them to the other side safely, and if they had any issues with it, call my boss (but good luck because he’d just forward complaints to me anyway).
Was amazing. I’m forever ruined for anything customer facing though. When you deal with the general public for that long and have absolutely no responsibility to be nice, it kind of corrupts you.
The first thing cashiers at places like Panera bread and Chik-fil-a are trained to do is ask you for your name. It’s on the secret shopper and you’d get dinged for it if you weren’t like “Hi welcome to Panera Bread, What’s your name?” or they’re suppose to immediately try to push a product on them “Hi welcome to Panera bread, would you like to try our new turkey avocado sandwich?”
So fucking stupid. I hate any and all interactions with cashiers and I just try to order and quickly as possible because I know how this all works and I don’t want to waste their time on someone who doesn’t give a shit. I’d rather them help me as quickly as possible so they could go back to their phones or something.
But I always feel like an asshole when I’m leaving like a 7-11 and it’s like “have a nice day!” and I just feel like a complete idiot saying “you too!” to someone who works at a 7-11 for no money and probably hates their fucking job, like of course this person won’t have a good day, their job sucks.