2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

You’d think they’d at least know the order of magnitude, lol.

Surely the jewelers would be raising a fuss if the insurance company was stuffing them for $90M. Seems mysterious. Don’t think I’ve ever heard of a heist where the precise amount of loot stolen wasn’t known.

Seems like that would be a pretty big incentive for more heists.

Update on the condom story, this guy is the subject:

https://twitter.com/natepentz/status/1550138743243378689

On top of that I’ve heard a lot of similar stories on needing wife’s permission to do a vasectomy. No idea if it’s harder one way or the other.

Regardless, surf makes a really good point about the level of consent being elevated for this kind of procedure and why a provider might be picky about it.

Washed the car for the first time this year and finished off a bottle of Rain-X I bought in 1984 in the process. For some unknown reason I have a second full bottle that appears to be from the same era. Now I just have to fade driving under a semi after the dancing raindrops mezmerize me.

1 Like

Rain-X is such a joy.

I was pretty amazed how a Turtle Wax product helped me get paint transfer off my car with minimal effort.

Something about the way it smells is making me want to go out and buy a bottle of scotch.

1 Like

Yeah, when I read that, it seemed to me like the urologist was depicted as being way too casual about the whole thing, which as you say, is almost certainly not how it went down.

Also I think that if a man changes his mind it’s a bit easier problem to deal with if reversal is unsuccessful. The sperm can still be harvested and then used for fertilization. I guess a woman could get in vitro (or at lest get eggs harvested) after her tubes are tied, but that seems like a more involved production.

It seems that when it comes to some malpractice cases, the default assumption is that the patient is almost a literal moron. So, it’s understandable why a doc might go overboard here.

The other thing is that the doc bringing up super-obvious scenarios like this has an actual purpose. It helps the doc gauge how much insight and understanding the patient has. From the doc’s perspective it’s better to be perceived as a bit condescending than assume the patient isn’t a moron and then later be blamed that things weren’t explained clearly enough. I assume most experienced docs can pull this off without seeming overly condescending or paternalistic, but I guess some can’t. So the patient’s account in that tweet might have been pretty close to how she perceived it, even if it’s isn’t what was actually said.

Man I know I’m late here, but that story of the dude in Kentucky with the bunker is maybe the most AMERICA story I have ever read.

Dude was talked about around KY for a bit. I knew that whole story even before the daughter got murdered.

16 Likes

lol, take that, nerds.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1551237180772782082?s=20&t=BGjgzf4YTdGZM_fyC0h58g

3 Likes

I didn’t realise you can go look at your Uber rider rating breakdown. Instructions here:

Mine:

Pretty curious when the 1 and 2 star ones were. I’ve never soiled a car or had an altercation with a driver. I sent a friend home using my account one time when he was super drunk, so that might be the 1 star. I imagine the other times I was just drunk and looked it.

That is a lot of Uber rides.

Not really? I’ve had an account for nearly 8 years. Averaging 3.1 trips per month. I rarely use cabs and never any other rideshare.

Yeah I was using it 4 to 10 times a week when I was commuting into the office and traveling a lot. This was only for a short period of time between when I actually started using Uber, and when Covid hit, but it likely never would have changed if not for Covid.

5 1-star ratings!

2 Likes