2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Actually yes but I would say after bbq Mexican is the next hardest one. We have two places close to as a good as southern cali though. Both owned by Mexican expats of course.

This thing?

A Caesar (also known as a Bloody Caesar ) is a cocktail created and consumed primarily in Canada. It typically contains vodka, a caesar mix (a blend of tomato juice and clam broth), hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce, and is served with ice in a large, celery salt-rimmed glass, typically garnished with a stalk of celery and wedge of lime.[1] What distinguishes it from a Bloody Mary is the inclusion of clam broth. The cocktail may also be contrasted with the Michelada, which has similar flavouring ingredients but uses beer instead of vodka.

That sounds revolting. As a drink, anyway. Might be a decent soup base.

Imagine tasting a Bloody Mary and being like “the main problem I can identify with this drink is insufficient clam broth”.

4 Likes

clamato was invented in NY. It’s not a thing in the US?

It is. At least in the northeast.

It was reported by The New York Times in 2018, that one third of North America’s supply of Clamato is consumed by Canadians, the majority of which is used to make Caesars.

It’s our national drink and hugely popular.

I don’t like it much but people love it a lot.

I don’t want to hear any smack from Canadians about Vegemite again, that’s for sure.

5 Likes

Interrupting your regularly scheduled tomato juice discussion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/damnjwhatyousay/status/1547042734816370691

2 Likes

Ain’t nobody in my family drinking those things.

if there is so much resale value with the tickets why dont they raise prices?

Vegemite is way worse. It’s some kind of weird Australian mass delusion. It’s basically pouring raw salt an inch thick on toast. I don’t get it at all. 🤷

It’s really popular in Manitoba as well.

1 Like

Only 1/3? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone order a Caesar outside of Canada, and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone drink Clamato that wasn’t in a Caesar.

Ya that surprises me too. I’ve never see it anywhere outside Canada or in the US where lots of Canadians visit, like Phoenix.

Spreading it thick is a rookie error, it’s supposed to be spread extremely thin. Here is Jimmy Fallon demonstrating from when Hugh Jackman went on to show him the ropes:

You can spread it thicker than that as you become a pro, but that is a perfect beginner amount.

IDK if I’ve said before, but I have a speculative theory about Vegemite, which is that foods that are a very rich source of important nutrients (Vitamin B in the case of Vegemite) sort of act like a drug, with reinforcement learning leading to the body craving them. I think oysters (very rich source of zinc) are a similar thing. Like it is weird that there are whole bars dedicated to serving oysters and that while everyone else who tries Vegemite thinks it’s disgusting, Australians are dedicated enough to it that they will seek it out overseas. The behaviour around those two things resembles other foodstuffs far less than it resembles the behaviour around stuff like tea, coffee and beer, all of which inspire devotion via drug effects. Most Australians who eat Vegemite tend to think that the similar British product Marmite is awful, which again suggests that what has been developed isn’t so much an appreciation for similar flavours as a fetish for a particular product.

1 Like

Not only do I see people order it around Boston, they also order something that is a mixture of Clamato and beer.

Edit: Michelada

For some reason, Greek food in the US is nearly always presented in the form of fast casual food; get a gyro and fries or whatnot. Don’t think I’ve ever had a really excellent sit-down dining experience with Greek cuisine the way I have with most other world food cultures that come to America.

We recently did this discussion in some other thread. The consensus is that it is quite bad in general.

The Clamato and beer thing is straight up serial killer behaviour. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: