2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Ribs was my choice! She is pissed. I am happy. :yum:

1 Like

The local place is like a B maybe B+ if compared to actual US bbq. It’s decent.

Midsummer Sunday evening?! RIBS

1 Like

What’s wrong with Greek food?

Have you tried Filipino food?

It is interesting that the only food type I’ve ever had globally that I can’t find a comparable version here is bbq. Every other food type I can find something local that is close in quality. Maybe not quite as good but close. Like an A- maybe.

Bbq, the best I can find anywhere in Canada that I have tried is a B or so.

Not sure why nobody can replicate bbq?

There’s an awful lot of very mediocre Greek food in N. America. Like crappy strip mall joints with mystery meat gyros and a salad with a 1 sad piece of feta and pitted olives. If that’s somebody’s only exposure I can see them not liking it.

American BBQ is a red state thing, so the Americans willing to immigrate to Canada and bring BBQ to you are not going to be the best and brightest in that particular culinary subdiscipline.

For most Americans greek food is basically fast food, a greasy gyro slathered in 2 pounds of cucumber sauce. Still delicious though, but not like a nice Sunday evening meal.

I just don’t like a lot of the things that are staples in Greek cuisine. It’s very possible that zikzak is right and I haven’t had “good” Greek food before.

A little bit. Is it supposed to be bad?

Any recommendations for cgy? Back there after Banff today with no plans. Even food alone is fine obv.

What kind of food you thinking?

If you want local speciality you should go for a steak.

What are some of the Greek staples you dislike? Have you at least been to a Greek restaurant that serves avgolemono?

Filipino food seems to be very polarizing.

Tzatziki, feta, olives

Maybe?

We aren’t super fancy or into anything crazy. Just have a wedding today, did Hamilton yesterday than off to the zoo Tuesday. No plans tomorrow at all.

Been to Greece several times. Fresh fish and seafood was good but I was staying on little islands and towns where it was caught that day. Super fresh seafood is always good

Other stuff I just never liked. Overcooked and over seasoned imo

Modern steak

https://nebula.wsimg.com/d24719bb2516bc7ae9c81f3bcd2dd192?AccessKeyId=EF551242E0930280BAC7&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Very good. Little pricey but not fancy atmosphere at all.

This place is unreal good modern Japanese

https://shokuninyyc.ca/

If you want casual the sandwiches at this place will change your life (especially the meatball)

1 Like

Moussaka is tasty

Aside from the Caesar, invented in Calgary, we also invented ginger beef at this place. Still the best. The rest of their Chinese is great too.

You can get good Mexican? I don’t even both getting it any more unless I’m in Cali, a southwest state, or Colorado.