2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I was thinking about this a bit more and maybe the divide is less regional and more of a class divide?

“Can I get your email so I can send your kid a birthday invitation from my kid? And also your phone number so we can follow up and make sure that you received the email.”

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1407120886415642629

1 Like

and asked him what he liked that she didn’t know about

Don’t ask someone what their kink is unless you’re prepared imo.

https://twitter.com/felipetmedinaa/status/1547393589268848644?s=20&t=fCn4vpOJUNurACdHKAux8Q

8 Likes

New hemorrhagic fever just dropped can’t wait

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mattbooshell/status/1547965971305902081

7 Likes

QONVIyz

I’m working through a dense 1,300-page treatise on guitar physics and this guy is just straight roasting a dude who was granted a bullshit patent for a guitar tuning system, but nested inside that roast is this conspicuous gem:

:vince1:

:vince3:

3 Likes

Is anyone familiar with ticketing nonsense these days?

I really want to go see Bruce Springsteen. I really do not want to pay Stub Hub prices/fees. I signed up for Ticketmaster’s “verified fan” feature - I have zero faith this means anything.

Just pay whatever they tell you to pay. They got the tickets, you want them, so shut up.

4 Likes

Capitalism, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of capitalism in the morning.

One of the coolest math riddles I’ve ever seen

6 Likes

The Monty Hall version at the end of the wiki is easier to wrap my head around. I’m still not entirely sure I could explain why it works, but you can prove to yourself that it does.

1 Like

It’s exactly what it appears to be: an astronomical racket. VeRiFiEd FaN is your only chance, and I’d guess it’s a tiny chance, but get your wife or whoever to create one too. For every one of you in the lottery, there’s at least another entry owned by a scalper who has dozens to hundreds of accounts. This was supposed to be addressed by the whistledick BOTS Act of 2016, which has had exactly one civil case brought (2021) with extremely reduced penalties for the perpetrators:

The FTC alleges that the defendants […] purchased more than 150,000 tickets for popular events. In doing so, they violated the BOTS Act in a number of ways, allegedly using automated ticket-buying software to search for and reserve tickets automatically, software to conceal their IP addresses, and hundreds of fictitious Ticketmaster accounts and credit cards to get around posted event ticket limits.

The three ticket brokers will be subject to a judgment of more than $31 million in civil penalties for violating the Better Online Ticket Sales (BOTS) Act, under a proposed settlement reached with the FTC. Due to their inability to pay, the judgment will be partially suspended, requiring them to pay $3.7 million.

The Freakonomics podcast on this topic is one of the most Mises-brained things I’ve ever heard. They conclude that artists like Springsteen (they name him specifically) are sensitive to criticism on social media and don’t want to charge the high market-clearing prices for “image” reasons. Yeah sure it’s probably that and not the fact that three motherfuckers bought 150,000 tickets they had no intention of ever using. Also reminded me of this (from 1996):

Hard Austin Night: Bruce Springsteen’s latest album features songs about life on the streets. But you won’t find a song about the 100 homeless people in Austin, Texas, who camped out for tickets to his concert. The homeless were shuttled to nine locations Friday night to buy the $30 tickets for companies that resold them for as much as $400. The homeless people were offered as much as $50 each to stay in line overnight and buy the tickets in the morning. “I think it’s wrong because I don’t think the homeless people understand how bad they’re being used,” attorney Steve Boney, who waited for tickets Friday, told the Austin-American Statesman. But Jay Hill, who works for Ticket City, which paid about five homeless people to stand in line for tickets, said: “It’s free enterprise. That’s what America is based on.” Springsteen, whose Austin concert is Jan. 25, is currently touring in support of his album “The Ghost of Tom Joad.”

1 Like

We need someone to break our tie for dinner!

Ribs or Greek food?

Greek ribs ldo.

Ribs

Depends on what kind of ribs we’re talking about, idk what Canada’s BBQ game is like.

I’d vote ribs, but only because Greek food is my absolute least favorite cuisine.

1 Like