2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

How come nobody talks about gender roles and the division of labor when it’s time to mow the lawn?

1 Like

My wife actually mows the lawn

(I know I look bad here but I promise I do the snow blowing and shoveling. She just likes the riding mower)

Pretty sure you just initiated the Bat signal for Kelhus/jdock.

I was going to say in before you’re accused of being an MRA.

But not sure if this counts:

My wife takes full credit for lawn mowing because she schedules the folks that do our yard maintenance. That’s some bullshit, imo, but I gotta pick my battles. Definitely not going to die on that hill.

1 Like

No kink shaming here

2 Likes

Hey, something’s gotta do it

2 Likes

Anyone get one of those self mowing robots yet?!

My wife manages the landscaper, but she and her friends all think he’s super hot. So I don’t know where that leaves me, my wife, or Francisco.

We’ve got a mid-50’s couple both of whom Riverman would likely feel very comfortable exchanging info with. No positive externalities here.

1 Like

You’re fine, so long as she’s not into riding the lawnmower like outdrawed’s wife.

3 Likes

Shenanigans. A 6th rate is a frigate, not a ship of the line.

That’s my nightly ritual as well, with the added step of taking everything out that my wife put in during the day and rearranging it all so it will actually get clean.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Of the couples in (apparently) great relationships that I know, they seem to do all household tasks and chores together with very little division of labor. It does seem dehumanizing (on both ends) to say one or other partner should have responsibility for one task and the other partner “just doesn’t do that”—particularly in gendered roles where stigma could be exacerbated.

Straight folks wildin’ ITT

8 Likes

Wat?

I’m a better cook, and I enjoy it. She hates it. I cook.
She has clothes that have specific washing instructions, and need special care that she doesn’t trust me to learn. I have clothes that have no special needs. She does the laundry.
I am good with tools and my hands, she has no experience with, or interest in tools and their use. I do the home repairs/maintenance.

I don’t find any of this “dehumanizing”. It divides labor into the most efficient chunks, and minimizes the amount of time people have to spend on tasks that they don’t enjoy.

That makes perfect sense.

Just anecdotally, the couples that seem the most connected are both “involved” in all tasks together. Like for cooking: he preps the veggies, and she preps the pasta, or whatnot.

One of my good friends talks about when he and his wife met, she abhorred cooking, and since they both started to do it together a few years after they met he can’t get her out of the kitchen. They seem to have developed an affinity just on a lark: she got bored one night, wandered over, and asked him about what he was making. They’re either serial killers or extremely happy.

1 Like