2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

The first dad who actually gives her his email address is 100 percent going to start hitting on her.

1 Like

Somewhat perplexed by this genre of take on this subject. Do you all have kids?

Some of what y’all are saying might have some truth to it, but based on my observation a lot of dads are checked out and consider many of the tasks of child-rearing to be woman’s work. And this is my experience in some extremely progressive enclaves, I would assume it’s more pronounced in the flyover.

I would absolutely give this woman my email and then my son would sobbingly ask me several weeks later why he never gets invited to birthday parties

2 Likes

It is hard to interpret this as anything other than “my kid getting invited to a party does not rise to the level of something I pay attention to”. If you really don’t check your email, then fine I guess? But I don’t understand how anyone functions that way. Also, do you think you’d pay more close attention if you weren’t counting on your wife to do it?

This is my reason. If they email me, chances are the kid is missing the party. Sometimes. to make the whole thing seem less patriarchal, I’ll provide both email addresses and stress that she should email us both to make sure it isn’t missed.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had it happen to me rarely. Not sure if it’s for this reason, or I’m just alone with the kids less. Interestingly, I have an IRL bro who is a stay at home dad. He actually says that he gets excluded from playdates and such for pretty much this reason. Kind of sucks.

Well, since you asked.

Not sure about this. This is not too far off from Mike Pence won’t take meetings with women. I don’t think you have any reason to believe that it’s anything other about kid stuff. Now it’s one thing if you don’t handle that. But if you do, then not giving the info for that reason seems pretty weak to me.

Hey man, I kinda think I’m a poor excuse for an adult as well

This is completely unfair and ridiculous but if the woman was outrageously ugly I would be fine to exchange contact info. Zero chance if she is obviously super attractive.

Agree! That’s just not what’s happening most of the time imo.

I agree with both of you. It totally depends on how you’ve divided up the work. If handling these kinds of things is something that is a shared responsibility, then LFS is 100% right. However, there are reasons that it may not be a shared responsibility (some of which may be sexist, and some of which probably aren’t).

If it’s a thing that one person does, then giving a shit about it about it means you will provide the contact info of whichever one of you is best contact for that thing.

OK, so what do you think is happening most of the time?

No, I’m saying that in most cases it’s not some calculated division of labor, it’s the guy considering “stuff like this” to be the woman’s job.

1 Like

This is such a bizarre (and bad imo) take.

4 Likes

Do these hypothetical married people not talk to each other?

Presumably if he keeps doing that, at some point they will have a discussion and it will become a calculated division of labor or they will divide the labor differently.

LOL Riverman. At least you’re somewhat aware of how terrible this take is.

Were you stanning for Pence when he wouldn’t take meetings with women?

Feel like this is a pretty poor comparison considering one person is the vice president of the United States and the other is a terrible sports bettor

Don’t get me wrong, I completely disagree with the take and would give out information like this regardless of attractiveness just saying it’s a completely different situation

I read Riverman’s post to my wife and the eyeroll was extreme.

1 Like

I actually think it’s probably not bizarre at all in the sense that it is probably not an uncommon sentiment. I do agree about it being bad though.

I don’t really think it’s that different. The underlying reason for the behavior is extremely similar.

Fair

https://twitter.com/Daggerlad2/status/1547216513354137601

4 Likes