2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

https://twitter.com/minskycharlotte/status/1547010999890640896?s=20&t=Ibg1tcA8ilPlzBBatSGxUA

8 Likes

When I look at

all I can see is

4 Likes

Weight increasing by multiple kilos in very short order can happen, but when it does that’s water weight. I said “body fat”. I’m not just being a pedant here. The guy was relating his experience to macro-level trends in obesity, but it can’t possibly have anything to do with that.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonyaBonczek/status/1547001767283621888

Gmail vacation responder only sends the auto-reply to the same sender once in a four day period. I don’t know about y’all, but the people who email me need a reply every single time, because on day two they’ll email and then get mad when they don’t get a reply. I can’t believe I can’t find an easy solution for this. Anybody got one?

Not gonna read this or test it, but it looks like instead of using their vacation response, you can create a template (formerly known as “canned response”), and set things so this template gets emailed in response to every email you get.

[templates] can be used in conjunction with filters to automatically send out relevant messages to senders.

Do you have the dates you will be out of office in your auto-responder?

add these people to your block list

4 Likes

I saw this tweet today and I didn’t know what to think. If a mom asked me for my phone number or email specifically for the purpose of a kid’s birthday party, I probably would reply with my wife’s, as she is the keeper of the family calendar. I know that “house manager” is a tireless job and is often unfairly placed on women, but in my case my wife is a SAHM so I feel ok about her dealing with that stuff as part of our labor allocation.

Not sure if that makes me a good, bad, or neutral guy. Of course, this is entirely hypothetical, as moms simply do not approach dads to ask for their emails in my experience.

1 Like

That makes sense to me. Apparently, this is more than a venial sin, however. An offshoot of mansplaining/manspreading.

Yes, but experience has show me it doesn’t help. Somebody emails me on Monday, gets the auto-reply and contacts one of my partners. They need something on Tuesday, email me and get no reply, email again a few hours later, etc. I deal with a lot of time-sensitive stuff and it doesn’t help to be able to say “but the response on Monday said I was out of town!”

Im 100% giving my wife’s contact info here. It’s just not a good look to be getting private communications from women IMO. Flame away

2 Likes

Thanks, that was way easier than it sounded.

yeah I mean I get that in the perfect utopia this shit wouldn’t matter but the people in that thread losing their minds because dads are dumping this shit on the moms need to smoke a bowl

2 Likes

“We live in a patriarchal society with defined gender roles.”

Followed by…

“I am SHOCKED that couples in our societal divide labor in a way that fits traditional gender roles.”

Pretty weak. Otoh the excuses by men that go beyond “this is just how we handle these things” are also quite weak.

1 Like

If a mom from my son’s school asked for my email I would just assume that she wanted to send me randy photos. Who the hell wants to talk about their boring kids?

8 Likes

Yeah my first thought was “wow these are all stand-up gentlemen who openly refuse to cheat on their wives”

6 Likes

Yes everyone in that thread should be dumped into a vat of lava

My wife just asked me if I got an email for our son’s second vaccination appointment and I just stared at her blankly and responded “I don’t check my email”

5 Likes

I wonder if any of the men were afraid of potentially having to explain why they’re corresponding with one of their kid’s, friend’s mother?