2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

The problem is that successful people of extremely diverse backgrounds invariably ignore luck. The one exception I’ve seen is professional athletes who frequently invoke God for blessing them with gifts, and tend to give more credit to their caregivers when they were young.

I agree with that. Most people are not comfortable with luck because it feels psychologically safer to feel like things are more in one’s control. It’s very unsettling to think realistically about the role that luck has in our lives.

guys let’s stay focused on the important stuff: BoJo is an inbred fucker

1 Like

THIS is an obituary.

https://twitter.com/olmumsyjess/status/1544827827048022018?s=21&t=29v0D2lODlYSXv2K_kaHUQ

10 Likes

Literally

It is believed that the prime minister has eight children, however, he has not officially confirmed the exact number.

The font size change was the most unsettling part of that obit.

I love how the career of someone who is literally named Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, who was born on the Upper East Side of NYC as the great-grandson of a minister in the government of the last Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire has led to a discussion about meritocracy.

Seriously?

2 Likes

Well, yeah. The whole reason meritocracy exists as a concept is because of stupid rich and connected people that don’t deserve their positions of power.

A sex pest is a harasser? Or a rapist? Or an insect? I’m not sure

Article I saw said he was accused of groping some men

1 Like

There are actual women who have voluntarily had sex with that man.

are you under the impression that we’re discussing it because we think meritocracy is what led to BoJo getting into this position?

The point is that meritocracy is much closer to aristocracy than its proponents believe.

James Caan died today. His car was shot up with machine guns on the causeway

RIP

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/vrunt/status/1545094281534349314

5 Likes

It seems odd that Johnson would go with “them’s the breaks” on the way out. As an American, I like it. I feel like it’s an under-used phrase. If Trump gets got, them’s the breaks. If Putin should happen to get accidentally get shot in his sleep, them’s the breaks.

1 Like

“Sex pest” is a great British word, also in use here. Usually means a serial sexual harasser. Can also encompass behaviour like flashing. Never encompasses actual sexual assault (beyond minor groping) or rape. The essence of it is that the person is annoying, disgusting or contemptible, but not dangerous.

1 Like

Interesting. Definitely seen it used to describe sexual assaulters, like Kelly and Kav, by ignorant USAians.