2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1478876045340196873

https://mobile.twitter.com/wumbooty/status/1478193742075023365

1 Like

Is Elmo gonna have to choke a bitch?

I would click delete pretty fast on that and pretend I never saw it.

3 Likes

lol if anyone sent one of those to me.

“It will only take you a minute to film and submit your video” … if you put absolutely no thought into it at all.

I wouldn’t hate doing it as I wouldn’t do it full stop. I would also reply to the person who sent it to me to never send that sort of shit to me again.

https://twitter.com/jonreyes204/status/1479819770597888000

Apparently this guy is a Canadian politician.

2 Likes

Well that’s not going how he thought it would :laughing:

Why the hell doesn’t he get up off his fat ass and shovel the fucking driveway?

lol i think that’s everyone’s thought

read the replies

1 Like

Because :pray:

Bob Saget dead

I was always really impressed with his ability to balance a successful comedy career and still be a competitive street fighter.

1 Like

This is the big local news.

It has been -30 here for the last two weeks.
It has snowed a shit ton.

I didnt have to shovel once last year, I’ve had to be out shoveling nearly every day the last like month.
Shit sucks.

1 Like

This could probably go in several threads. Canadian perspective on the impending collapse of US democracy.

Two other material factors are key. The first is demographic: as immigration, aging, intermarriage and a decline in church-going have reduced the percentage of non-Hispanic white Christians in America, right-wing ideologues have inflamed fears that traditional U.S. culture is being erased and whites are being “replaced.” The second is pervasive elite selfishness: The wealthy and powerful in America are broadly unwilling to pay the taxes, invest in the public services, or create the avenues for vertical mobility that would lessen their country’s economic, educational, racial and geographic gaps. The more an under-resourced government can’t solve everyday problems, the more people give up on it, and the more they turn to their own resources and their narrow identity groups for safety.

America’s economic, racial and social gaps have helped cause ideological polarization between the political right and left, and the worsening polarization has paralyzed government while aggravating the gaps. The political right and left are isolated from, and increasingly despise, each other. Both believe the stakes are existential – that the other is out to destroy the country they love. The moderate political centre is fast vanishing.

And, oh yes, the population is armed to the teeth, with somewhere around 400 million firearms in the hands of civilians.

Some diagnoses of America’s crisis that highlight “toxic polarization” imply the two sides are equally responsible for that crisis. They aren’t. While both wings of U.S. politics have fanned polarization’s flames, blame lies disproportionately on the political right.

According to Harvard’s renowned sociologist and political scientist Theda Skocpol, in the early 2000s fringe elements of the Republican party used disciplined tactics and enormous streams of money (from billionaires like the Koch brothers) to turn extreme laissez-faire ideology into orthodox Republican dogma. Then, in 2008, Barack Obama’s election as president increased anxieties about immigration and cultural change among older, often economically insecure members of the white middle-class, who then coalesced into the populist Tea Party movement. Under Mr. Trump, the two forces were joined. The GOP became, Dr. Skocpol writes, a radicalized “marriage of convenience between anti-government free-market plutocrats and racially anxious ethno-nationalist activists and voters.”

Now, adopting Mr. Limbaugh’s tried-and-true methods, demagogues on the right are pushing the radicalization process further than ever before. By weaponizing people’s fear and anger, Mr. Trump and a host of acolytes and wannabees such as Fox’s Tucker Carlson and Georgia Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene have captured the storied GOP and transformed it into a near-fascist personality cult that’s a perfect instrument for wrecking democracy.

1 Like

LOL, the Republican Party was like that long before Trump took it over.

I guess it depends on what you mean by “was like that,” but prior to that time the Republican Party looked much more tame on the surface.

I can’t figure out where to put this, so here ya go

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1480286294634909697

8 Likes

WTF

Never would’ve guessed that David Lynch was a freak and a weird dude

4 Likes

First Bob Saget and now Robert Durst. Who’s next? The rule of 3 would suggest John Roberts.