2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Yeah that describes my aunt with my uncle. Fortunately they have the money to put him in a nice home.

They came to visit one time and found him in someone else’s room on the other side of the bed on the floor clutching a wallet that wasn’t his. Apparently the result of some dispute with another patient about perceived wallet-stealing. My uncle ran his own company with 30-40 employees for most of his adult life. Dementia sucks.

Yeah my mom descended into dementia after a 40 year battle with MS and the last couple of years was hell on my dad, who refused to send her to an assisted living place and took care of her mostly himself for years. I even fantasized myself about slipping her some pills or something to make it all stop.

1 Like

I happened to be there when my aunt told my cousin they weren’t going to do anything about his dad’s skin cancer, because they don’t want to prolong his life. Heavy stuff.

1 Like

My mother’s Alzheimer’s began to set in during her 60’s. It was harder to see because she was always “difficult”, for lack of a better word, and had a bunch of physical problems for which she took (way too many) painkillers. When the decline steepened my father kept it pretty hidden from me, but she once called me while hallucinating that there was a young boy in the house with her, which was absolutely terrifying (to me). When she was 70 she had a big stroke and we let her go, and at that time we learned that she had apparently been having mini strokes for some period of time prior. I already know this, but stories like the above really bring home the fact that the final stroke was a blessing. My mother had made me promise to kill her if she ever got stuck in a home, so I am pretty glad that she and I were not put in that position.

6 Likes

A while back on my walk home from the gym at night, I saw an older Asian woman walking along, clutching a bunch of paper Christmas decorations to her chest. I also noticed a car that seemed to be stopped in a parking lot, and then pulled into the street when she walked past. Like it was watching her.

I hung back to keep an eye on things because the whole situation didn’t seem right. I helped her when she dropped some of the decorations, and tried to ask where she was trying to go. She either didn’t speak English or didn’t understand me and seemed very confused.

At that point the car approached. As soon as I saw the driver I realized it must be her husband, just letting her walk it off and keeping an eye on her.

1 Like

My stepmother worked in elder care and when my father’s family history with Alzheimer’s started to show up in him she was ready to act early. She got all 4 kids together and we dealt with it as a team. It was of course still a horrible, years-long ordeal, but having an immediate family support group helped a lot. If you have a loved one with dementia and you can do something similar, I strongly recommend it. It is so much better than having one primary care giver deal with it all themselves.

Don’t be afraid to have the difficult conversations early.

Yeah as the only son of divorced parents who live halfway across the country from me, I worry about this scenario a ton. My mom has my stepdad, who’s in great health, and two healthy slightly younger sisters. But I don’t know what I’d do if my Dad, who is pretty much on his own, had a long protracted illness.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people don’t get the option to do what we did for one reason or another. My friend’s mother had nobody but him and he tried to take care of her at home for as long as he could. Eventually she started to physically attack him and he had no choice but to put her in a facility with harsh lockdown. Crushed him so much to see her there that he was only able to handle visiting her a few times and then couldn’t deal at all anymore.

For a few years now Ontario has allowed people to seek help from a physician that can Old Yeller you if your quality of life is terrible. This is a very good thing objectively, but it’s really really hard on all parties. An often overlooked part of the challenge is how tough it is on physicians to be involved in voluntary death. It runs against their training, even the ones that see the value and believe in it ethically can face serious mental health impacts.

1 Like

I think it should be done by people who specialize in end-of-life care. My father had hospice at the end and the difference was dramatic. They were wonderful and it was a very welcome change.

1 Like

It is generally handled by doctors and nurses that specialize in end of life care. There isn’t a cottage industry of physiotherapists just giving it the old college try, or anything like that.

https://twitter.com/SaycheeseDGTL/status/1479505901564399619

this is the cheapest feed the homeless plan I can think of while it lasts anyway

Onion?

Hopefully that should be changing?

1 Like

Just cheese and lettuce, I think.

7 Likes

Sounds like a good deal at first, but what are the chances of living all 30 days?

1 Like

It’s actually even better than that.

According to the OOT ff thread, if you put in certain zip codes when you sign up, then you can get it for only $5, but it still works nationwide.

Can you be more specific? I don’t think my opinion has much value, but the industry has always been sensitive to what’s going on in the general economy. A misstep can amplify that. Would that be worse or not so bad for Intel, which practically is the market for processors (they have 80%)? I don’t know. Their size and influence might make it hard to separate cause from effect.

If you’re referring to the stock price drop a year or so ago, I think they’re fine. From Barron’s

Just like what happened to Elvis.

4 Likes