2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Well the council can vote on anything they want, that dosen’t mean that this dosen’t run afoul of the Fair Housing Act. Something that Torres might have thought to address.

It won’t, but it’ll keep the riffraff out.

I think the terribly worded article is actually saying that it’s the cohousing that’s aimed at helping tenants decrease the rent they pay, not the measure to defeat cohousing.

The KC Star is another vulture capitalist zombie newspaper. They charge $80/month now to deliver a pamphlet, probably just banking on old people not noticing, or addicted to their morning paper. The person who wrote that might have gotten paid $50 for the whole article or something.

1 Like

Because fuck poor people.

1 Like

I believe this was a big deal in my college town - the locals hated the houses that were rented out to a big gaggle of partying college kids. So I think we had something like this in place, as well, but I’m not positive.

When I was an undergraduate in the early 80s the college town in which I lived had a statute prohibiting more than 3 unrelated adults from living together.

It was routinely ignored.

I don’t know if this is still true, but they can’t have sorority houses at Emory University because of some local legislation aimed at banning bordellos from the 19th century.

Seems like they’d have a Title IX case if they wanted to make hay, no?

This is what I was always told about Wash U, but I’ve never bothered to see if that was really the case. The sororities all had day-use “suites” in a women’s building, weren’t allowed to have houses.

This story suggests it’s aimed at a specific type of housing and maybe they don’t care about collateral damage.

A large home on Hallet Street has been getting the stink eye from neighbors for months. They remember when it went into foreclosure as a 4-bedroom, 3-bath home. Then they started seeing workers. They said the workers told them they were reconfiguring it to 7 bedrooms, which led them to start asking more questions.

The company behind the project is HomeRoom, founded in 2018 by a Prairie Village man, which has expanded to include six metro areas across the nation.

Generally, the company gets investors to buy properties, which HomeRoom then leases and sublets as individual rooms with shared common areas, maid and garden services. Some rents are as low as $350 per month.

what makes you think that’s what they’re trying to do

Today’s co-living apartment buildings are giving landlords an opportunity to make more money by charging less for individual tenants but more for rental units overall. Some development companies are contracting with apartment owners to remodel existing complexes.

The article was kind of badly written.

Just popped up today: The ‘junkyard next door’ in Naperville: Years of code violations, fear of retaliation and one neighbor’s legal fight

The article says the 5 houses have racked up $700k in fines.

Our next door neighbors have hung wind chimes on their front porch, so I’ll probably be burning down their house tonight.

3 Likes

I can tell it’s warmer now cause I got motorcycles racing past my place. Loud fuckers. I demand enforcement of the noise ordinance.

Seems reasonable and appropriate. Godspeed.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1520602471479267329

2 Likes

1 Like

How could ancient people experience something like that and not think they’ve pissed off some god?