2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

that has been the true point of philosophy since at least plato

2 Likes

I think it’s useful to remind would be technocrats and science bros that many of the sharpest people still do philosophy. Some scientists don’t like philosophers much, but there are a number of crossover projects with philosophy professors in physics, biology, AI, cognitive science, etc.

Interestingly, saw a tweet this week that the award for the “best referee” for the British Journal of the Philosophy of Science was a physics prof.

I lol’d

15 Likes

https://twitter.com/scaramucci/status/1519799699607281664?s=21&t=dwCoPp0LwO_dLgulPeDadQ

The guy in the shorts was Bidens largest donor.

Who is that? SBF?

Yup.

RE: nerds talking about geography

https://twitter.com/terriblemaps/status/1520091030120509440?s=21&t=NG3nPUuFso4Z4j96lcgfFQ

6 Likes

City Councils making laws is one of the things I find unfathomable about the US.

That’s not unique to the US. Everywhere allows municipalities to make bylaws.

By-laws are one thing but this ordinance violates basic freedoms.

It’s one of those laws that will never be enforced.

Normally bylaws and ordinances are the same thing as far as I know.

This one is terrible to be sure but seems well within the range of normal municipal jurisdiction. They pass all kinds of housing regulations like Airbnb rules, rental unit rules etc.

As described in the article one adult can’t even move in with another adult who is living in their parents house. Seems bad.

Can you come up with a justification why 4 related adults can live together but 3 related and 1 unrelated adult can’t?

Don’t get me wrong. I agree it’s a terrible classist regulation.

I was just pointing out the ability for municipalities to pass such terrible classist regulations is one of the things that isn’t unique to America.

FYP

2 Likes

BEAST IMPLANTS

2 Likes

Wait so they’re banning roommates?

Well, it’s more like banning 3 or more roommates.

Maybe it’s because I just woke up, but how could that possibly help tenants decrease the amount of rent they pay?