Worst US President of All Time

Who was the Worst US President in History to date.
  • James Buchanan
  • Andrew Johnson
  • Andrew Jackson
  • Herbert Hoover
  • Ronald Reagan
  • George W Bush
  • Donald John Trump
  • William Henry Harrison
  • Richard Nixon
  • Bastard

0 voters

Defend your answer. I choose Donald John Trump. Everyone on this list has horribles, but only DJT took the republic itself to the brink of extinction.

1 Like

I voted Trump for the same reason. Should Jackson be on the list? Or am I getting my Andrews confused?

1 Like

Bah, I should have included Jackson. I meant to, but thought I did when I included Johnson. They should both be up there, for different reasons.

1 Like

Had the same thought. Not a history guy, so maybe others are worse, but Jackson seemed really bad just from what I remember in high school. Also, he was Trump’s favorite, so he’s gotta suck shit.

1 Like

Fixed. Still think Trump wins though. You guys need to revote now.

No one needs to explain Trump a choice. Anyone that pucks anyone other than Donnie Dumb Dumb has to explain themselves.

8 Likes

Jackson was a monster and absolutely deserves to be included. I would’ve replaced Harrison with him, Harrison at worst deserves an Incomplete and not an F.

This article convinced me as far as why Trump is the right answer. He’s the only president to so completely violate both parts of the oath of office.

Fun Fact: Donald Trump was only the second US president to support an insurrection led by people flying the confederate battle flag. Bonus points if you can name the first US president to do so (whom I also probably should have, but did not, include on this list).

Nixon dropped more bombs by tonnage on Cambodia and Laos than were dropped by all sides in WW2, including the atomic bombs, in a secret illegal war. He’s one of the greatest criminals in history.

3 Likes

Both valid points, although if your sole judge of a president is body count from military conflicts after four years, well then Trump was one of our best presidents. On the other hand, if your judgment of a president is based upon the number of preventable deaths globally, then I think Trump wins even lives lost as the only baseline. It’s not just the half million people who are about to die here in the US on his hands. His abdication of US global leadership with the pandemic undoubtedly cost lives all across the globe.

1 Like

How many people is Andrew Cuomo going to kill?

Should have included one for Victoar.

Voted Bastard because they all are (even the ones not on the list).

But comparing Trump with Nixon is apples and oranges - attempting to end democracy vs 600,000 to several million dead Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians with the death toll still rising.

But omg no not 400,000 dead Americans he must be the worst.

2 Likes

Sounds like a Pierce thing.

Does “by tonnage” mean simply weighing the bombs? That’s a weird way of measuring. Would the bombs being atomic even matter by that metric? Wiki doesn’t put Cambodian death count high relative to other stuff that you could blame US Presidents for, e.g. Iraq War.

It’s explosive power. Bombs are measured in tons of TNT equivalent.

eta: The numbers of people killed in Cambodia and Laos are pretty disputed because we were murdering people who were barely out of the iron age, literally people who had never seen an airplane in their lives. And about the death toll, it’s different that they were killed directly by US Bombs as opposed to in a war that the US contributed to. And it’s different that it was an illegal and secret war. It’s almost entirely on Nixon. (of course lots of people helped and enabled, but it was not a democratic decision in any way, unlike Iraq)

2 Likes

poll needs a Jefferson Davis option.

but i still voted trmp as the worst. even if you consider that reagan definitely started us on the road to trmp, even with w starting two wars, even with nixon’s corruption and egomania. trmp was handed a functional govt which would have have been his best asset. but he got too greedy, lit it on fire, and still lost.

I voted Reagan just because I figured everyone was voting Trump. It’s obviously Trump given he tried to bring down the Republic, but up until Dec 31 I think there could have been a case for Reagan being worse.

Also, people mention 400k covid dead, but in terms of VORP (value over replacement president) I think we were almost always looking at 200k+ dead and more probably 300k+ dead. We were never going to have as good a response as a country like Germany and even their deaths per capita is only half the USA. France, Spain, Italy are all very close to USA’s number. Given the # of complete dipshits in the USA, I’d say even Hillary was probably looking at a death toll of 250-300k. So in that sense, deaths due to Trump was 100-150k.

The case for Reagan:

1. Destroyed unions
  2. Destroyed American confidence in the govt, people could no longer look to it for help.
  3. Destabilized several govts in Central America
  4. Trickle down economics, slashed top tax rate from like 70% to 30% and the middle class has never recovered. Now it’s unthinkable to suggest a rate higher than 40%.
  5. USA debt exploded under Reagan
  6. Drug War
  7. Supported Hussein and Al-Qaeda.

Probably forgetting a bunch of other stuff but I’ll leave it at that.

Given the hundreds of millions his policies affected and continue to affect, destroying the middle class and confidence in the govt, I’d say he’s easily the worst president that didn’t try to overthrow the Republic.

5 Likes

I’m not a history buff and I’m sure there were plenty of terrible presidents. But not sure how anyone could’ve have been more unfit for the office than a mentally ill gameshow host who’s chief aim was to divide the country and did nothing while a pandemic raged across the country killing hundreds of thousands

410k dead so far. covid total deaths might eventually be double, because of the poor response during trmp. i can see VORP deaths be in 250-300k total like you.