Worst US President of All Time

Yah, you’re probably right that eventually it will get to that point, unfortunately. I was just pointing out that up until now it’s probably more like 100k extra dead, which is still terrible.

Still an argument that a Clinton Administration with an intact pandemic response position and better relations with China actually stops this thing before it becomes a worldwide pandemic, but I guess that’s is an academic argument.

2 Likes

Nah, Trump is the worse. The US had a pandemic response team already in place and he got rid of it. Not only did it screw the US, it screwed the world. It never would have gotten this out of control in the first place had Obama, Clinton or Biden been POTUS.

1 Like

You have a nationalist’s fixation on his own population at the expense of a broader world view.

People are grossly underrating W’s fascist conversion of the USA.

1 Like

Trump is probably the most incompetent, but I don’t think he’s close to doing the most damage to the world.

5 Likes

This. If Trump were as competent as Nixon he could probably have leveraged murdering millions of people overseas into a landslide re-election…like Nixon did.

Pretty speculative to assume that the Clinton administration would have done more than, say, California and New York, both with very Clinton-like administrations and both of which have pushed for opening the economy up at various points. More than Trump? Sure. But it would not have done what New Zealand did.

1 Like

Also probably ANY other Republican president would have been successful at repelling ACA and causing a much larger death toll and general suffering to the US population.

I voted Trump, even though Andrew Johnson was basically a 19th Century Trump (corrupt, racist, dumb, uncooth, etc.) who gave white Southerners carte blanche to handle the newly freed slaves as they saw fit.

What? No Tyler? Gotta go DJT. Fun fact about Tyler, 10th president, born in 1790. He has a living grandchild.

Certainly influenced by recency bias but given how it ended and how many near disasters we avoided in just four years, has to be a Trump from me dawg.

I tend to come down on this side as well. I think we are overestimating how much that pandemic response team and better relations with China could have led to maybe this getting stopped before it started.

Voted Bush, because imo it’s about impact, not personal moral character. Dubya didn’t try to like, foment insurrection and Trump did, sure, but he did it very badly and it didn’t have what you’d call any prospect of actually working. Bush has Iraq, Afghanistan and a ton of other stuff. I’ll hear an argument for Nixon as I only know the basics of Vietnam, really.

1 Like

Fox would have created such a scare about the virus under a Clinton administration that Republicans would have been cowering at home under their beds and wearing SCBA when forced to go out.

2 Likes

People here were like “Holy Shit this is bad!” when China was shutting down and isolating cities. The ones in charge in a normal administration would have had access to that information long before we did. And they would have done something about it. Meanwhile Trump was whining about getting impeached.

1 Like

If Trump had been slightly more competent this wouldn’t be a discussion imo. In terms of actual bloodshed, Trump gotta be on the better side of average. USA #1

1 Like

William Henry Harrison is the only person to have never committed a war crime as POTUS. That alone makes him the GOAT

1 Like

Can’t really blame Nixon for Vietnam, that was Johnson and to a lesser extent Kennedy. His administration did a bunch of terrible stuff in Vietnam but if you put LBJ in his place for another term it probably would have been just as bad.