World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

Well they’re not actual top quality or they’d be first choice at one of the biggest European clubs.

Neither are technically as good as Foden, Saka, Martinelli or Bellingham, let alone Mbappe.

Sure. But in the modern game you need 11 of them on the pitch and 4 or 5 on the bench.

1 Like

I prefer “table pickleball” tyvm

2 Likes

I didn’t know this a month ago but Musah is from the arsenal academy

If he’s any good he’ll come back along with Bennacer

Also Australia and Ireland (New Zealand too even though they don’t have their own sport they also call football - I guess rugby, at least league, is occasionally called footy)

https://twitter.com/SportsChannel8/status/1597767006501195783?t=CwkaLDDpzhldbMyc_CjpiA&s=19

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1597757282934063104

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1597740514669101056

2 Likes

As the only Dutch person here I have to warn you that the Dutch team is getting a lot less credit then it deserves. They are hard to beat because even though they will probably not score much they won’t concede goals easily either especially against teams considered better. USA might have a chance if the Dutch team underestimates them and if Depay is still not fit. And prepare for a penalty shootout as that is quite likely as well.

4 Likes

Yeah England is simply better than a team they’ve never beaten when it matters :laughing:

2 Likes

Sure… that’s exactly the kind of team I want to play in a single tournament elimination game when I think they have more talent. Make it as high variance as possible.

:vince1:

Not a chance.

If only we had some video of elite NFL talent playing foot^2ball.

1 Like

As a team like USA I rather play England, Argentina, Belgium, Spain or Portugal of the possible group winners than Holland. They have had a lot more upsets against them in knockout matches. You definitely don’t want Brazil or France. Most world cups Holland gets eliminated by the later winner even when they had relatively bad teams.

The reason I dont really respect the Dutch this time is I don’t rate any of their attackers, even Gakpo

I think things like losing to Czech Republic and not qualifying in 2018 with losses to Bulgaria as far more predictive than any of this historical stuff you’re referencing for other teams save Portugal… who I don’t think is that good either

Question about offside rule:

I’m sure this is a dumb question. Does a defender who is not on the pitch count as one of the two defenders closer to the goal? Can a defender spring an offside trap by just running off the pitch momentarily?

Not a stupid question, I actually had to look it up and I watch a lot of soccer. I assumed you couldn’t do it since I’ve never heard of it. You count everyone regardless of where they are unless the ref has given them leave to be off the pitch (e.g. an injury).

2 Likes

Thanks. Since you’ve looked into it, I’ve got a couple of follow ups

1. What happens if a player is behind goal that he is defending?

2. Can an attacking player be in an offside position if he is off the pitch?

3. I probably should MS paint these, but too lazy.
    a. GK is on his line, attacking player is one meter behind the end line, defender is two meters behind the end line? Is attacking player offside?
    b. GK is on his line, defending player is one meter behind the end line, attacking player is two meters behind the end line? Is attacking player offside?