World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

as a us fan i think i’d rather play the netherlands than either senegal or ecuador in their own group, let alone england, argentina, spain…

i’m not saying the US should be favored by any means, but i dont think the netherlands will run us off the field like some of those teams you mentioned that you think we’d rather play.

1 & 3: Players behind the goal line are counted as part of the offsides calculation as if they were on the goal line
2. Yes, but offsides only counts if a player is part of the play. They’d have to come back on and try to make a play on the ball for it to be offsides
3. I believe these are no offsides if the attacker goes on to affect the play given above, but they are odd enough I’m not 100% sure.

Also an aside, it is a yellow card if you leave the field of play when it’s not part of your natural movement of playing the game and you don’t have the permission of the ref.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m sure that saved me a good bit of time.

1 Like

It bothers me to no end that the tie-breaking kicks at end of regulation play are called “penalty kicks.”

In that instance, no they are not.

The formal name is “kicks from the penalty mark”.

Interesting. But I’ve never heard them described on broadcasts or what have you as anything other than penalty kicks. And each time I hear it, my mind reflexively screams: penalties for what transgression? Having the game end in a tie?

I played from age 6-15 and we called them shootouts.

1 Like

I’m an Ajax boy, so I have an natural aversion against anything PSV, but Gakpo impresses me tbh

But yeah, gonna be fun to play the US on Saturday. Van Gaal seems quite content, but I’ve not been very impressed with the team so far. Part of it is the euros, where we won all three group games and lost the very first knockout. That was with Frank de Boer as manager though, and he was trash. Also I long for the days of Robben and van Persie, instead of Depay, but you can’t fault his productivity and work ethic.

When I say I don’t rate Gakpo/Depay they aren’t totally trash, but they are never getting to the level of those guys.

Think Gakpo has a similar career to Depay. Goes to a big club to be a guy, doesn’t succeed then finds a niche or role that works either at a smaller club or backup.

Fair enough, there’s even a good chance Gakpo will go to ManU like Depay did. Hopefully he’ll fare better than Depay though

Much better.

Not interested in this poor trolling. Trying to have a sensible, productive conversation with people here.

1 Like

I think this summer will see Rashford to psg, Messi to Miami and gakpo to United.

All have been rumored to some level.

Rashford to PSG? I mean, he needs a move somewhere to get regular starts but do you see him getting many at PSG?

They tried to buy him last Summer and Messi is leaving.

If I was PSG he wouldn’t be my first choice, but it almost happened last year for big money and he’s free this summer.

So why is Messi leaving? I figured both him and Ronaldo would prefer to stay in Europe for CL

Why do the American players always looked so gassed at the end of every game?

Aussie here.

Very happy To be where we are. Souttar is getting a Premier League deal based off his play so far. Been immense.

Really feel we need to score a goal to advance. If we sit back and soak up pressure Denmark will be more clinical than what Tunisia were.

That said, if we get dicked 4-0 at least we won a game which is better than the last two world cups and can get some experience into a lot of younger players before 2026 (where the higher variance format means a lot more can happen in terms of making a run into the last 8).

Carn Straya

I haven’t given up all hope just yet