World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

Soccer is dumb.

I don’t know how impactful allowing it is, but having a guy lie down behind the wall on free kicks strikes me as being outside the spirit of the game.

Yes I think you’re right. Football is a game to be played standing up, not lying down.

I think in most sports if your opponent wants to lie down you are happy to just let them.

1 Like

Right, so gaining an advantage through lying down is against the spirit of the game.

Most sports have loopholes which is why there are so many rules.

Cricket started out as something like “propel this ball at the wicket 22 yards away. If the batter hits it with his bat he can score points” and ended up with 42 often complex laws.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I my mind the threat of rolling the free kick under the wall forces the defending team to concede a player laying on the ground, so it’s not like the defending team wins some decisive advantage by having someone laying on the ground. Whatever, soccer is stupid, sports are stupid, humanity is stupid, the planet was better before we existed and will be better after we are extinct.

5 Likes

LOL Costa Rica won?

This closed at -900

Soccer is dumb

1 Like

My theory with these bus parking teams is that there is not that much difference between a 2-0 loss, 5-0, 7-0, etc.

The first goal or 2 against these teams can be tough to get, if they are well organized and have a bit of defensive talent. But once you get that 2nd, then a bunch of goals can come in droves. The bus team probably loses a lot of intensity and isn’t as iterested in closing down vigorously, they have to extend a little and will leave spaces, and this can lead to a 7-0 like we saw vs. Costa Rica or Iran getting crushed by England.

I don’t necessarily think it means, holy shit, these teams are complete trash and can’t compete with anyone in the tournament. It just means that they came in with a mindset of defend to the death, and once it gets to 2-0 and the intensity is gone, then an embarrassing result is in play.

3 Likes

Now Belgium loses to Marocco. lulz

Johnston is so good getting forward, kinda sucks moving him to a RCB.

Lovely goal, almost the whole team touched the ball

1 Like

Good sir?! Dost thou dare suggest that something about association football could possibly need improvement after all these years?!

1 Like

Yah, I mean it’s like, you know, lots of minor changes might be beneficial but the game fundamentals are pretty sound and it doesn’t need a second penalty spot, four quarters, bigger goals or extra time in the group stages. Like.

2 Likes

:vince1:

Croatia unfortunately attacking the MLS Canadian players

gg Canada.

Jonathan David has had a rotten tournament.

Do not want.

He’s never been good enough for a top, top team

He has only 4 years of pro experience though. 4 years ago he was just training with a coach, not attached to any team going to school in Ottawa.

1 Like