World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

What an awful result to wake up to.

Game vs England is basically a friendly now.

1 Like

As an idiot of the format, why?

@Tilted

Essentially this:

1 Like

Ignoring the very unlikely result of Wales beating England, the USA getting one point from a draw vs England is worthless, because Iran would still advance with a draw.

A win vs England is still great as it would let them win the group with a win vs Iran and advance with a draw.

1 Like

Makes it really simple for you. Wales winning was a far worse result.

Thanks all. Kind of a bummer.

Geez I’m watching the highlights of the Iran-Wales game and I think the US might be fucked. It’s hard to see Wales putting up serious resistance against England, the US will either have to beat England today or find a way to beat Iran when Iran can settle for a tie. Hopefully the US pulls off an upset win today, otherwise the third game against a defensive Iran will be a slog.

I don’t really get this. You should have beaten Wales and you will be heavily favored against Iran. Anything against England even if its just a good performance will be a huge confidence boost ahead of the Iran game. No way it will be a game where players are just going thru the motions.

The US is currently +105 to beat Iran.

Yeah, the issue is that if a draw gets Iran through then it totally changes the dynamics of the game and the probability of a tie goes up.

1 Like

What a save there. Qatar goal here starting to feel inevitable though.

USA was never beating England

I think the bigger issue is Iran winning eliminates the value of a draw vs. England which is definitely a possible outcome. Basically the US world cup is down to beating Iran or going home and they are currently (slight) underdogs to do that.

So basically evens in a 3 outcome event.

As a poker player thats +ev all day long. Second screengrap is draw no bet just for shits and giggles. You have better players all over the pitch.

Well sure but tying Iran is the same as losing to them. So I’m not sure how the draw no bet line matters when trying to use betting lines to assign probabilities of advancing.

Yah, the range of outcomes was prob something like:

Scoreless draw >>> Iran win >>>>>>>>> Wales win

If the England match is tied late, then USA should definitely be pressing like hell for the win. It doesn’t really matter if USA ties or loses by 1. But a win would help out a lot. So I expect Gregg will do the opposite and put on the MLS guys to secure the tie.

1 Like

Its just showing you are in fact heavily favored over them

The US is still a small favorite to qualify due to their chances of beating England not actually being zero.

Yes, that’s nice b/c say Wales won 1-0 and England won 1-0 today. We’d also have to sweat the possibility that England just rests everyone and plays a friendly draw vs. Wales, that would let both of them accomplish their goals. In that case, it wouldn’t even matter if USA beat Iran 10-0. At least now USA can control their own destiny (barring some wacky England v. Wales result).

I agree with this. I think the reason some of us are acting like disaster struck is just that the Iran/Wales game was 0:0 through 90 minutes. The best possible outcome was right there and barely didn’t happen.

2 Likes