World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

Baseball awesome pre analytics/three true outcomes era

Maybe the Qataris have a point.

https://twitter.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1594819676328300544?t=GEQPepZh2TeFtGxq4ZqtpQ&s=19

3 Likes

A contender appears:

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/1595076956852260865

4 Likes

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/stevemerkle9/status/1595106037363003392?s=46&t=s5sl8QiN6-zyotQU2AwWAA

1 Like

This,.combined with the fact that soccer can be played with little more than a wad of garbage duct taped into roughly spherical shape and some rocks to demarcate the goal and boundaries means that soccer is inevitably popular. Soccer more than any other sport is one that any kid anywhere can take up playing, no matter how poor, no matter the climate.

1 Like

Wat. I’m under 35 and the only, like, two? people I know who have ever played a single game of ultimate are massive dorks who were probably just playing because it was their quiddich off-season. You’re telling me ultimate is a thing now??

2 Likes

cache (2)

ouch, driveby attacks on ultimate players. I coached and played on the team that finished ninth at worlds in 1999. I think there are two pro leagues in the US now, but neither is anywhere near the massive popularity of mainstream sport, box lacrosse.

4 Likes

also, funnily enough, I was digging through my old bag of discs and saw this. Disc from a Blacksburg tourney, maybe 1995?

2 Likes

In North America there are easily more adult players for rec leagues than any other sport now I’d think.

Low cost, low barrier to entry. My men’s league soccer costs were ~4k a team vs ultimate being like 600?

I’ve played in hockey/soccer leagues as an adult and they’re more intense. Hockey obviously has huge costs, even a mid tier soccer cleat is $200 these days.

Ultimate coed is huge.

1 Like

Impressive, I didn’t realize it had gotten so big. Back to soccer now I guess

I think the fees are a lot of it. Paying refs and maintaining fields/ice is expensive and goes into the costs for these leagues.

Ultimate works fine on barely cut grass and doesn’t need a ref

when they invented it, it was rugby rules with no forward passes. that’s a pretty big handicap this day and age

why do you say that?

Of course not. That would be way too obvious. Watch this:

But also check this image and tell me you’re absolutely certain “they” got this right and didn’t erroneously exclude the left back. The image was made by a Spanish architect who frequently performs these VAR checks fwiw.

1 Like

Yes I’m sure the technology didn’t forget a player

Yeah, street/floor hockey leagues aren’t a thing in Canada really.

You get sponge hockey leagues, which are played with you wearing moon boot looking shoes rather than skates that have you slide across the ice.

jeez, they could have arranged the board so the pieces made sense.

Yah, and leave it to the USA to create a pay for play system out of a sport that’s supposed to be accessible to everyone that mostly just leaves out Mexican-Americans. You have a population of 40 million people that are super passionate about soccer, the national team should have at least a half dozen Mexican-Americans, but they mostly get lost in the shuffle.