World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

I think its more drama and better where the player is expected to score rather than making it tougher.

I think if you moved the kicks back 4 yards the entertainment value would go way, way down imo.

1 Like

then maybe it should be open net from midfield

Part of what is good about pen shootouts is that they are cruel. Itā€™s what creates the drama. I donā€™t want them to be made into more of a contest of skill. I want Spain to get owned by an obviously worse team. If they donā€™t want that to happen, maybe they shouldnā€™t spend 120 minutes playing a garbage false 9 which creates 0 chances.

7 Likes

not that it means anything but

USA beat Morocco 3 to 0 in june

The best part is itā€™s more psychological than ability based.

You can sometimes see it in their eyes that they arenā€™t up for it

I will always believe that Zidane head-butted specifically to get out of penalties.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been keeping track, but whatā€™s the penalty conversion rate from the spot at this WC. Just based on memory, it seems pretty close to 50%. Maybe Iā€™m way off. I just canā€™t remember seeing a top level international tournament with this many horrible penalties taken.

Of course. A blistering start but still almost 2/3 of the season left. 37 from 14 means if points are accrued at the same rate as our last seasons average weā€™d finish with 80 points.

On paper that looks logical but i think itā€™s unlikely. I worry about the psychological effect on such a young side of losing an irreplaceable part of the team and a very popular figure and team player. I also worry that if Januaryā€™s games against Newcastle, Tottenham and Utd go badly it will shatter the confidence theyā€™ve built up.

Apparently theyā€™re over in the US now with Stan presumably asking for January trqnsfer(s), like last yeqr. Eddies fine as a second striker but thereā€™s nothing after that. Iā€™d just tell Eddie his time will come and go and get Mitrovic. Iā€™m not a huge fan but heā€™s s proven PL goal scorer and could do a good job until Jesus returns, at which point he could make a useful sub for in game 442 switches when weā€™re chasing goals, but heā€™s not a very Arteta player (neither was Vlahovic though). The dressing room with Xhaka would be interesting.

The team is in a training camp in Dubai but Mikel was in LA.

I donā€™t think Mitrovic would be a good fit. We need someone who can press/pass. Mitrovic is great, but they can barely run.

Iā€™d just try for Trossard, Mudryk, Asensio, Ferran, Depay, Morata or other guys who are out of contract in ~6 months and teams are fine just getting a small fee for, or even doing that on loan.

There is a chance we lose to newcastle, spurs etc as you sayā€¦but as you also said, you can still keep up an ~80 point pace even losing those games.

ESR should also be fit, so itā€™s one in one out. Jesus is a much bigger player than ESR, but ESR did score more last year.

no games today
wtf

3 Likes

Morata is a shit finisher and has been winging it as a CF his whole career.

Depay failed in the PL which will bring back bad memories for him and is a huge risk for a long contract. A loan might be ok.

Ascensio is good but weā€™re linked with him every window,

Trossard Iā€™ve been interested in as a ready made alternative on the wing but it still means ESR (whoā€™s been tried as a false 9 without success) or Martinelli playing at CF when Eddie canā€™t; Mudryk the same. Heā€™s very exciting but untested against low blocks and in tight positions and likely to be very expensive.

What bothers me most is I donā€™t see any really good solutions that work well in the short and long term, unlike Cityā€™s situation when Haaland is out.

The real solution is multiball

2 Likes

Where are my four games??

Tournament lulls always get me. March Madness especially. Iā€™m supposed to do work again for three days??

1 Like

Depay and morata would be loans.

Theyre not the best options, but morata is the closest thing to Jesus. Even includes the poor finishing

Crazy stat I just saw.

Italy, Germany and Spain havenā€™t won a KO game since last winning the WC

2 Likes

Crazier ā€“ Italy and Germany havenā€™t even played a knockout stage game since their last win.

Pulisic!

Croatia also hasnā€™t won a KO in regulation since 1998.

So I looked into this briefly and I think we are 17/30 for penalties at this WC (including the two shootouts). Just a bit over 50%.

Not 100% sure on the numbers, tho. Someone might need to fact check this. If true, that seems pretty close to optimal from a drama standpoint.