World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

2 Likes

No way in hell I’m staying up until midnight to watch Japan lose to Croatia. Except so far in three matches, They’ve won the two I haven’t watched when they were severe underdogs, and lost the one one they were favored to win when I was tuned in.

So accordingly, Japan should beat Croatia today and I’ll wake up to another nationwide celebration.

Aww c’mon get on the Hype train!

Btw, where in Tokyo should I go that has a large collection of sports bars all close together?!

Not watching foxsports coverage (I assume there are other broadcasters for USians) but this goes hard, unsure if anybody has noticed (of the watchers) haven’t seen many comments about it.

1 Like

It’s pretty much bang on but it’s hardly surprising, Football in the US is always broadcast this way. Champions League is just as shit. NBC are a little better but it’s still pretty dumbed down.

This absolutely sums up Lalarse

" In a big tournament you always want your biggest players to show up, and Lalas, who often gives the impression that he’s being paid by the decibel, has not let the Fox team down this Mundial. From his post at the end of the panel, the big man in the Maga-lite suit has delivered his signature rants with all the enthusiasm of someone who’s blown past the discomfort of knowing that no one else on set finds him interesting or funny."

3 Likes

Most NFL coverage in the US was consistently awful forever.

When Romo came in people couldn’t believe what someone with insight sounded like.

It really is saddening what the majority of fans will tolerate and might even enjoy (I know in Australia our football coverage has been taken over by this crew who were all originally from a radio station that catered to sexist, racist men)

Not much of a sports bar guy, but I’d do some searching in Roppongi, and if you can’t find what you’re looking for there, Shibuya should have you covered.

1 Like

thanks for posting this, was laughing the whole way through. Spot on!

This is particularly good

Donovan, meanwhile, has pulled off the impressive trick of being both exceptionally boring and weirdly aggressive. In a sport that thrives on innovation, Donovan has developed a kind of anti-chemistry in his rapport with English co-commentator Ian Darke – built on dead air, the flat affect of a Benzoed accountant, and negging (sample own from the Spain v Costa Rica match: “Seven nil looks like an NFL score – you wouldn’t know anything about that Ian”) – that feels genuinely fresh.

gettin pumped for Japan, lets gooooooooooo

1 Like

Thanks! will do, haven’t been to Roppongi yet. In general I haven’t really noticed many (any?) big open layout bars with flat screens when wandering around so far.

so brazil should definitely be rooting for croatia right?

yesss japan

FUCK YEAH

Japan’s been the most fun team to watch in the tournament so far, right?

1 Like

Spanish telecast is so much better even though I only understand a few words. So much passion and I love the rolling R’s. And half time = attractive women.

Japan winning is contrary to my financial interest, but I have a hard time rooting against them.

1 Like

Japanese programming is a good for the extra guttural noises!

Minamino doesn’t start?

Such excitement!

1 Like