World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

I don’t think the US got humiliated. They had a shot of winning I think, just didn’t get any breaks. And Netherlands buried every good opportunity they got. Which doesn’t change that the US gave up three extremely good opportunities.

The flag, the timing of the Australia(Invasion) day holiday and the monarchy will continue to be discussed but I doubt they will ever change.

I think this accurate, but on top of all of it I just got the feeling that NED wasn’t the least bit stressed. It had all the tension of a scrimmage game (for them).

1 Like

Surely we can edit the title now?

1 Like

Do Not Edit

Take it up with Italy :it: in blue, Japan :jp: in blue, :netherlands: in orange and :new_zealand: in black/white.

Crushing result but never really deserved to win. A lot to work with going forward and hopefully the shot in the arm the game needs here to get back on track post covid.

1 Like

Most of this was because the Dutch scored early. When you’re the underdog your goal is to be at least even going into the final 30.

When you’re down 1…the time until the hour mark basically becomes damage limitation. Not the game plan you want.

Most of those teams play in those colours for historic reasons. :it: is blue für the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia, :netherlands: is orange because their royals are the House of Orange. :de: is black/white for Prussia - track and field athletes have an extra red stripe across the torso and complete the colors of the German Empire.

1 Like

-Dutch have a perfectly understandable explanation.
-I’ve seen other Japanese sports teams wear red. I don’t think they’re exclusively blue
-NZ is weird, but that’s one I was aware of
-Italy does seem to do blue for everything as far as I can remember. If anyone wants to shed some light on that one, I’m all ears.

Sucking off our own mineral wealth isn’t a reasonable explanation?!

Thanks. That answers the one question I had. Is Piedmont-Sardinia the same as Savoy or are different? My 2min on google on this associates the Italian Blue with House of Savoy.

Yes, Piedmont-Sardinia was ruled by the House of Savoy at the time of Italian unification/ creation:

https://twitter.com/mathaiaus/status/1599155543201165312

this

2 Likes

That was also a way more brutal loss. 95th minute dubious penalty

They gave up like 18 shots to Belgium

I don’t remember the details. All I remember is extra time and US scored a late goal with a chance to take it to penalties. That at least feels better than today’s thrashing.

That combined with the xG and the score paints the picture perfectly, though.

2 Likes

That game is known for one of the best goalkeeping performances of all time from Howard.

Belgium could have won by 5.

No one interested in France v Poland?

Apparently not

Surprised the game has been this open