World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

You realise the current World Cup is in Qatar right?

Let’s so underestimate their stupidity

4 Likes

oh well. we’ll make the best of it

Agree. Talking a step back further
they never want an Italy to miss qualifying again

Was watching an rte (Ireland) post game and chuckled when they suggested Saudi Arabia might host in the future. More realistic than Australia!

the USA-Mexico ‘Good Rivals’ documentary on prime is pretty good

Please no 3rd place teams, I hate that.

I’d like to see a system that rewards the top group winners, then teams like France can’t just punt a game away

24 get out of the group
Top 8 get a “bye”
Bottom 16 play a répéchage round or whatever you want to call it
Then continue R16 as normal

It also wouldn’t mess up historic WC stats b/c “getting out of the group” still means beating 50% of the field.

1 Like

Still a hex in 2030. Just a hexadecagon (16 teams) instead.

CONCACAF qualifying in 2026 will be the worst thing ever. None of the 3 decent teams need to qualify. CR and Panama used to be decent but are aging and will be worse. Everyone else will never be good.

Your pony died of a repechage round.

Not bad, at least it got out of the group stage

2 Likes

Someone posted it on 2p2 I think but the best way to do 48 teams is Group A plays Group B, then advance by points.
Can even then do KO games are within your own Group.

So group A plays Group B for the RR games. Top in each gets a bye. 2v3 play each other. Then the winner plays whoever topped the group.

Yeah definitely would rather not the third places but just if they want to keep the same number of games as proposed you need a scenario where it’s 48 down to 32. With top 24 FIFA lose out on a sweet sweet eight (?) televised games.

Yeah, pressing is hard work. Keeping possession is a good antidote.

Just realized that if Spain throws the Japan game, Germany won’t move to the next round, but they will, unless Germany can make 7 goal differential.

Spain is out if they lose and Costa Rica beats Germany.

Yeah if you look at the scoreboard at the end and its Germany 2-0 you can in theory throw the game to Japan and screw Germany over.

Before I start thinking about the Spain game Germany has to do its homework first and not do a 2018 again.

No Eustaquio in the squad and David benched.

Although a win is “important” to Canada, i can understand the coach giving some reserves a chance to play in the WC. It’s literally a once in a lifetime experience for some of them. Let them play.

How are US folks streaming the games? I’ve been using Fox Sport’s guest/anonymous 60 minute streams but am wondering if those stop working in the knockout round or something…

I just discovered that Fox stream at the start of the WC and it seems like it works for everything, including football, and you can VPN to change the game it is showing.