Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Go to the hamburger menu in the top right to get to the Preferences screen, then there should be a dropdown box on the right that says “Interface”, tap that and go to “Account” then right at the top of that screen is a profile picture selection thingy that should let you set an avatar.

2 Likes

I was more excited by the Marv Wolfman cameo.

Here’s a rundown of all the cameos:

It had better be the Dude…

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmarAmarasingam/status/1217850670784700418

From Canada? Let’s not get carried away.

ENiUH71XkAkLd0i

4 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1217925504977833986

The “whole” story is kind of nuts. Local paper outs this guy as a neo nazi, writes about his internet posts etc. Then the RCMP raids his house. Don’t find any current criminal activity or plans, so they can’t charge him. Dude immediately flees to the USA and it wasn’t known exactly where he was until today.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1217977311762558977?s=20

The comments in this thread…

I have very little internet discipline and even I manage to never, ever read comments.

3 Likes

I sometimes rewatch that Black Mirror where internet commenters get what’s coming to them.

2 Likes

Question for lawbros: If a defendant takes a guilty plea as part of a plea bargain, is there some kind of prohibition against them subsequently claiming innocence? Like, are they prohibited from saying, “Oh, I’m not actually guilty of that crime. I just took the guilty plea to avoid jail time.”?

For some reason, I thought this was the case, but some casual googling isn’t bringing anything up.

As context, I saw Andy Fastow (CFO of Enron) give a presentation today on ethics in business. He struck me as a psychopath who believes he didn’t do anything wrong, and also far dumber than I would have expected.

Not a lawbro but I’ve read that you can basically say whatever you want after the fact. But if the judge isn’t happy with your allocution bad stuff might happen to you.

Have you read Conspiracy of Fools, Eichenwald’s Enron book? Might be the best nonfiction book I’ve ever read. From that book Fastow is just incredibly dumb and as you say a sociopath. Pretty disturbing that he is presumably being paid to give talks on business ethics.

I think that’s called an Alford Plea.

2 Likes

After a judge has accepted the plea, you have to request a hearing to have the plea changed. The onus is on you to demonstrate that a miscarriage of justice will occur if the plea is not changed. There are various ways you can argue this; one of the more common is a complaint of bad advice or misconduct by your counsel.

One of my favourite examples is John McTiernan, director of Predator and Die Hard among other films. McTiernan was charged with illegally wiretapping a business associate. He pled guilty and got a fine plus four months in jail. He then tried to withdraw his plea, arguing his counsel had not presented him with a possible strategy of suppressing prosecution evidence. The request was initially denied, but granted on appeal and his conviction was vacated.

The prosecution, no longer being bound by the plea agreement, filed two further charges of lying to the FBI. After adverse rulings on his attempted defense strategies, McTiernan pled guilty to all three charges and got a year in jail.

2 Likes

An Alford plea is when you admit your guilt and get released resulting in time served, mostly to folks who have been shafted in some way.

I think :thinking:

That’s where you plead guilty but still maintain you’re innocent. You don’t do an allocution. But in a regular guilty plea where you do an allocution admitting your crimes, after the fact you can still be all naw dogg, I didn’t actually do all that, fucking government, what are you going to do, right?

Ahh… So you can submit an Alford plea before conviction?

I think it necessarily has to be before a conviction. From watching Law and Order and movies, I think that the prosecution would have to agree to an Alford plea being offered.

Mine was from true crime docu were the got released on an Alford plea…