Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

In the Altman movie, Popeye hated spinach. At the end, Poopdeck Pappy actually had to trick Bluto into force-feeding it to him.

FWIW I always thought the fact that there is a national southern themed restaurant chain called Popeye’s that dosen’t even offer greens on it’s menu is a pretty harsh indictment on our society in more ways then one.

I never had to use it, but there was a functioning fax machine in our office right up until two years ago. The weird thing was that there are still fax machine robo-callers and we were getting fax spam every couple of days right up until the end. The most common fax (I am not making this up) was from a travel agent selling package deals. It was like getting messages from a ghost, not a little unsettling.

That is definitely the joke and also a big kudos to Popeye Chicken’s marketing team.

Has not been very long that the collective consciousness would so directly connect popeye and chicken.

I also suspect it is a generational thing. Popeye cartoons were on tv when I was a kid. There was the bad Popeye movie (RIP Robin Williams) but I can’t believe millennials have a strong connection to Popeye the Sailor.

I suspect even younger people probably relate to the chicken first especially with how big the chicken sandwich thing was in the last year.

I would be curious to know where the line is dividing spinach and chicken, in terms of age.

1 Like

Popeye was a good movie imo.

2 Likes

I have always said that Popeye was underrated, but having just watched the final scene on Youtube I am not so sure. “Everything is Food” however is on Spotify and is a small masterpiece.

Popeye is the only movie I remember not liking as a child.

I was a very confused when my stepdaughter from the Midwest used the word Popeye! instead of Padiddle!

I am mixed on it. I was super excited to see it and still have a really strong memory of going to see it with my mom and younger brother but I think it has issues.

That being said I have not watched it in a very long time.

My last office got fax spam from travel agents and roofing companies on a weekly basis.

Somewhere there’s a fax machine in a closet that no one has the key to any more, just endlessly faxing the same travel ad to a string of numbers.

1 Like

I take it your dad didn’t have a VHS copy of all 7 hours of the 1927 Napolean film that he watched at least once a month? I liked Popeye.

It’s not really a great kid’s movie. It’s not an art movie, but kinda.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/verge/status/1215537015430832128

Can it play movies?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaptainOctavia/status/1215542964207878144

https://mobile.twitter.com/RicO2O/status/1215553336612540418

Called up the bank I had my last auto loan through and asked them for a lien release so I can transfer the title. Guy gives me a number and says I need to fax a request to that number and they will get back to me in a day or two. I almost burst out laughing, you want me to fax something motherfucker :joy::joy::joy:

Doctors still won’t email anything because of HIPPA or something. Infuriating.

My doctor has an online portal where I can get all my records and test results. Pretty good.

1 Like

Keeed confirming Earth is not his home planet.

1 Like