Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

A major airline here proposed priority boarding for veterans plus an on-air thankyou for service before takeoff (at the veteran’s discretion) and the reaction was so negative, including from veterans’ groups, that they ended up frantically backpedalling and basically apologising for having suggested it. One military figure described it as “faux-American bollocks”.

5 Likes

The right-wing version of political correctness.

Europe has a stranglehold on desserts. You’re comparing the stuff colonialist royalty designed to eat versus “something sweet with whatever our poverty allows” that most other countries managed.

Indian desserts are painfully oversweet. Most Chinese desserts feel like they’re made with the cheapest possible ingredients, oil vs butter, etc. Portuguese tarts > Chinese clones. I like hyper-processed Tiawanese bubble tea or Filipino halo halo type desserts but that’s just nostalgia.

Talking about overly sweet desserts- I had never heard of King Cake before two weeks ago when a bunch of them were sent into the office by various vendors we work with. They were left in the kitchen area and I saw two younger women poking through it with their forks apparently looking for some “baby” that is baked into the cake.

1. Gross
  2. I don’t think intentionally trying to find the baby is how you get it to bring you prosperity and health. Things like that have to find you.
1 Like

I figure with all the coronavirus news and primary news and Trump news dominating current news cycles, I should share a feel-good story to lift spirits and whatnot

3 Likes

I don’t know he was pretty funny on 30 Rock.

1 Like

Because they want to annoy the commies leaving the country because they don’t love the USfuckingA enough.

Lovely to hear. It was personal with me and Jack. I hope he’s buried in a traditional cemetery so I can dance on his grave some day.

Let’s not forget Jack Welch was basically perpetually jerked off by all mainstream media while literally having a policy of firing x percent of people annually for no reason other than scaring workers.

Also he turned out to be an awful CEO and the stock is down like 90% thanks to his endless idiocy.

Oh, and of course, big racist Obama conspiracy guy.

2 Likes

When you’re rich, they think you really know.

When he got fired, he got $417M severance.

People fall for it again and again and again and again. When will it stop??

How else are you supposed to motivate people?

Here’s a professional musician trying out and commenting on that musical IQ quiz from a while back.

3 Likes

Fuck infectious diseases, man. My older daughter has now somehow contracted pink eye, so now that gets to do the rounds in this family. At what point does Mr. Burns immunity-through-having-everything kick in?

2 Likes

Ugh that sucks. It’s so contagious!

It does really suck. I had pink eye a couple of years ago, it’s a pain to deal with. My wife more or less locked me in our home office and told me to stay away from her (thankfully this went away after my pink eye went away, I thought she might have preferred it that way).

2 Likes

I think that went through our family twice and I managed to avoid it the second time when the kids were a little older.

Netanyahu won the 3rd election in Israel. He has a pretty clear path to form a coalition. This is a person whose trial was suppose to begin in two weeks. They will now pass what is called here “the French law” which gives immunity to an incumbent Prime Minister.

Israel is officially a Monarchy.

They should call that “the American law.”

Well, joke on you, because the US and France have a term limit. We don’t. Immunity4lyfe.