Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

I actually been to Taiwan a bunch of times and went to what were supposedly some great places there. They just didn’t do it for me.

I doubt there’s anything greek about it.

1 Like

I guess they’re actually made in Indonesia, but these Ting Ting Jahe ginger candies are a big hit all across Asia. You can see the package is labeled in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. I remember these as a wee young boy and it looks like the candies haven’t changed at all. Same wrapper and everything.

3 Likes

Part of this may be a me problem. Basically I fucking love chocolate. Chocolate desserts >> all others for me. There are some occasional non-chocolate desserts that I do enjoy (pies are the first things that come to mind). So the big problem with most Asian desserts for me is the lack of chocolate. But I still can’t think of a an Asian dessert that I like better than a good apple pie or cheesecake.

1 Like

To be fair, Asian cultures didn’t really have access to chocolate and they don’t do dairy, so their desert options are hamstrung.

1 Like

On Sepulveda just East of Hawthorne? That’s about 500’ from where my mom lives and where I am right now. Samples are good!

2 Likes

It’s certainly a completely understandable problem, but it’s a problem nonetheless (for me, anyway).

There’s like a dozen of you guys living in the San Francisco area, right? Any of you ever tried Ting Ting Jahes? Are they still a thing there in Asian markets?

It’s all Greek to me.

2 Likes

I think those syrupy balls that taste like pancakes at Indian restaurants are pretty good.

I don’t hate Chinese desserts, but haven’t really loved any I’ve had.

Japanese dessert is pretty good.

Oreo Ice Cream Cake is pretty hard to beat.

I had these the silk worm looking things the other day - very tasty.

Maybe. There’s one on Torrance and Crenshaw too.

Except they don’t taste like pancakes. They taste like pancake balls in corn syrup instead of maple syrup. So disappointing. The cream ones are slightly better.

I did see “Lemon Meringue Pie Hummus” in my local supermarket so anything is possible.

In Israel “soft-serve ice cream” is actually called American ice cream. And these are called American Peanuts. I guess things are weird.

Greek pizza in my neck of the woods is a greasy sort of pan pizza. Nothing spectacular, but good. And always (always!) comes from a place called “Pizza House”. There are 3 different Pizza Houses just in my small city that are only distinguished by the name of the street they’re on.

It’s a New England thing. You wouldn’t understand.

Also, isn’t Gulab Jamun that death needle thing from Dune?

1 Like

Looks like a rice-based thing. Very exquisite imho. I’m guessing there’s bean curd or a candied fruit thing in the middle.

Apparently it’s something they only break out for Chinese New Year’s. I had it at a big street fair in Monterey Park.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1233998781160591361

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1234126823803555841

1 Like

Oklahoma Christian Universtity.

As Jesus said unto the people: Whites Only.

1 Like