Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

The Isle of Skye is the Large Island just above Tiree on the Map…

Tiree is the most westerly island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland.

Population 650 :wink:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1192139651684978688

https://mobile.twitter.com/AestheticsJapan/status/1233810424187039747

Wrong just wrong.

3 Likes

I’ve had tempura pizza. It was terrible.

I don’t know what’s on those things, but isn’t it just sushi in the shape of pizza?

It’s similar ingredients as sushi in the shape of a pizza. It’s by no means sushi.

Sushi is a complex and delicate balance of flavours and textures, most of which are subtle.

I’m saving up for some. Maybe some day!

1 Like

There’s a place near me that does Indian pizza. Butter chicken pizza with tzatziki sauce is pretty good, but maybe only once or twice a year.

I trust Indians to get some weird version of pizza right. Greek pizza is amazing.

As long as it’s not sweets, Indian food is the bomb. They suck at sweets though. It think it’s like their fruitcake–something everyone pretends to love due to tradition, except they haven’t reached the point where comedians are making fun of it yet, and the whole country can let out a big collective sigh of relief.

The fish-looking parallelogram almond sugar things, the mini-funnel-cake-looking things (that are way too crispy and sweet and bland), the weird dough balls soaking in flavorless syrup or some kind of cream sauce, the list goes on and on.

We would have donuts in the office and they’re gone by 10am. Indian sweets and they’re sending out emails at 3:30 trying to sell them. And I worked with like 60% Indians.

But man try to broach the subject that Indian sweets aren’t very tasty, no matter how delicately you put it while praising all other types of Indian food effusively, and they look at you like you just ran over their dog (note sample size of 1 - a guy I thought I knew well enough I could be honest about the subject). Seems like there must still be a very strong nostalgic pull there.

2 Likes

Agree with you nearly completely. Love all Indian food except for dessert which is nearly inedible. Only exception is Gulab Jamun, which to me is, at best, fine. I have had a couple of good/interesting Indian inspired desserts at fusion restaurants, but I’m not counting that stuff

The only thing I’d disagree with is about whether Indians actually like them. Most I know genuinely do like them. I will say also say that the stuff that I’ve had in India is quite a bit better than what I can get here (difference is bigger than with savory food, imo). But even with the better quality, I still find them mostly unpleasant.

Well all I know is someone would bring in some for a holiday at my work and a reasonably-sized box would just sit there all day.

Maybe once they taste donuts, cookies, and other American sweets, it ruins them for India sweets.

My gf introduced me to China sweets and I loved everything I tried. They’re generally not as sweet as say donuts, but that makes them somehow more addictive.

There are some things I really love about America.

The Greek pizza at a place by me. Picture isn’t lighted well, but it’s sooooo good.

Have you ever tried Ting Ting Jahes? Sooooo good.

Maybe. I have no idea what the name of anything is.

Btw if you live in LA and I assume this happens in other US cities with a Korean population - go to the main Korean grocery store in a Korean enclave on a weekend. You get free samples on the end of every aisle and it’s all delicious (except some of the seaweed or squid things, but those are easy to avoid). Fun excursion and free meal!

The one in K-town in LA has stern Korean ladies who I think would silently scold me until they saw my gf’s cart all loaded up. The one in Torrance had super friendly women handing out the samples.

I actually feel the same way about Chinese food. I love almost everything except for the desserts. I still can’t wrap my head around the appeal of red bean paste.

It’s like a little Tootsie-Roll-shaped thing only it’s a chewy ginger candy with a powdered sugar coating. brb, about to buy a dozen bags of Ting Ting Jahes off of Amazon. I had these all the time as a kid. So good.

I can eat red bean paste but I’m not nuts about it.

But the taro cookies, coconut mochis, and a bunch of different kind of cookies and pastries are just insane. Try to find a real Chinese bakery if there’s one in your city. There was one very unassuming looking rectangular-shaped cookie, that’s not too sweet, but is up there with thin mints for addictiveness for me.