Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Tongue Forest.

I donā€™t watch much TV, and only get broadcast channels with my cable package. One of those channels is the Maryland PBS channel, which seems to be running a ton of African-American history documentaries (I assume for Black History Month). Currently playing is ~8 hours of a documentary series called The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross, which has been great for a lazy Sunday (and is much more interesting than the work Iā€™m procrastinating on).

Iā€™ve never paid much attention to PBS and how they operate, and didnā€™t realize that many of the local-owned ā€˜stationsā€™ (not sure if thatā€™s the right word) are responsible for some of the nationally-distributed programs people are familiar with (for example, the Boston-area PBS has produced Arthur, NOVA, and Frontline). You can also donate to your local stationsā€“I donā€™t know how much they rely on donations vs public funding, but I sent off a small amount since Iā€™m enjoying this doc and because I doubt public funding is reliable in our current political landscape.

Anyways, this documentary has been interesting and I figured Iā€™d flag it for anyone else interestedā€“your local PBS stations may be playing similar stuff this month. Check it out.

Edit: also found out that the producer for this documentary, Henry Louis Gates Jr, launched TheRoot.com and is the guy who was arrested breaking in to his own house in Cambridge in 2009 (the incident Obama commented on)

That Peterson story is fucking bizarre. Iā€™ve been talking about it with some irl friends. Try this article on for size:

Attempt, if you will, to reconcile these statements:

She said Russian doctors are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies to treat the side-effects of one drug with more drugs, and that they ā€œhave the guts to medically detox someone from benzodiazepines.ā€

She and her husband took him to Moscow last month, where he was diagnosed with pneumonia and put into an induced coma for eight days.

Jordan Peterson has only just come out of an intensive care unit, Mikhaila said. He has neurological damage, and a long way to go to full recovery. He is taking anti-seizure medication and cannot type or walk unaided, but is ā€œon the mendā€ and his sense of humour has returned.

He seems badly mentally ill and his daughter is either enabling the illness or doing some sort of Munchausen by proxy thing. A while back Peterson claimed to have drunk apple cider on a single occasion and had a ā€œsense of impending doomā€ and claimed that he did not sleep for 25 days, which is impossible.

4 Likes

Peterson is a fabulist at heart. I take anything about him with a grain of salt. He lives in a constructed world designed to further entrance his fans in his mythos.

2 Likes

LOL @ North American hospitals (plural) misdiagnosed him but (checks notes) uhhh, his daughter who has zero medical expertise of any kind figured it all out and somehow got him to (checks notes again) Russia. JLAWOK.GIF

6 Likes

$5 says their grift has been slowing down and theyā€™re gonna use some ā€œhelp Jordan fight these demons and stay aliveā€ sentiment to crank the grift back up

2 Likes

Goddamn. Though I must say that I donā€™t come here to have to feel sorry for Jordan Peterson.

1 Like

Yeah I have about 5 questions per sentence in the article. Like if itā€™s true that he was experiencing a paradoxical reaction to benzos (which is not crazily uncommon, itā€™s like 1-2% of people) then the answer actually is to ā€œtreat the side-effects of one drug with more drugsā€, like you administer a non-GABA sedative. Paradoxical reactions to benzos are well known and would absolutely be considered by hospitals when treating agitated patients who respond poorly to benzos. The whole thing makes no sense and itā€™s difficult to read between the lines.

I donā€™t know. I think this episode over the last year has slowed his grift. I get the sense from him of a guy who believes his own hype.

1 Like

I still think it was the apple cider that done it.

3 Likes

lol ofc Greenwald comes in to stan for him:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1226532563273101312?s=21

2 Likes

Iā€™ve personally experienced depression, chemical dependence, panic attacks and more and can quite confidently state that going full cold turkey is a very bad idea for someone in his condition / with those symptoms.

2 Likes

Hey Glen,

Literally nobody is shaming him for getting help. Go away you attention whore hack.

3 Likes

In before Unstuck sends beetlejuice and jt for pot detox in Transnistria

Letā€™s all go! A bunch of political hotheads stuck in an isolated location and a secret stash JT snuck in through means he refuses to disclose. What could go wrong?

1 Like

Actually, Iā€™ll absolutely shame him for it. Millions of people take those medications as prescribed, and they are meant to treat serious disorders. Itā€™s beyond irresponsible to have incel messiah man implicitly/explicitly give out psychiatric advice to people, who in the best case, would do something as dumb as fly out to Russia for detox. If I were to bet, heā€™s flying to Russia to get more benzos not to quit them because no sane doctor in the US/Canada is prescribing him anything anymore.

1 Like

Some people, I just think wow, you appear to exist in a tremendous amount of pain or distress. And I wonder how much that motivates the awful things they say and do. And the things they will try in order to be free of that feeling for just a moment.

1 Like

You donā€™t need to go to russia to get more drugs lol

I think benzo addiction is a problem at my kidā€™s HS. My youngest has mentioned at least one kid she knows (someone I know because she was in the same girl scout troop).

Yeah it flows like water in CA. Lots of people willing to sell their prescriptions, and drug dealers buy boatloads on the dark web.