Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

I just wanna say I was off the Abrams hype train long ago.

1 Like

chicken

I don’t know if she’s a hero, but do we have any evidence that spinach was his favorite food? Sure, it made a raging PCP freak when he needed it, but is that what he’s asking for on his birthday dinner? Now, I could tell you what Wimpy’s favorite food was, no problem.

4 Likes

Her work on voting rights is far more important than who is whose VP.

Abrams 2040 (After Jr’s and Ivanka’s administrations)

It begins

Right, would he have voted for spinach in the Food Madness Thunderdome? We‘ll never know.

Lololol

Spoken like a true Scotsman :grin:

3 Likes

It just dawned on me that the woman was thinking of Popeyes the fast food place, in which chicken actually makes perfect sense. I’m probably late to the joke, right?

3 Likes

Ron White’s early stuff was legitimately hilarious. He pretty clearly sold out, there is no easier grift.

In the Altman movie, Popeye hated spinach. At the end, Poopdeck Pappy actually had to trick Bluto into force-feeding it to him.

FWIW I always thought the fact that there is a national southern themed restaurant chain called Popeye’s that dosen’t even offer greens on it’s menu is a pretty harsh indictment on our society in more ways then one.

I never had to use it, but there was a functioning fax machine in our office right up until two years ago. The weird thing was that there are still fax machine robo-callers and we were getting fax spam every couple of days right up until the end. The most common fax (I am not making this up) was from a travel agent selling package deals. It was like getting messages from a ghost, not a little unsettling.

That is definitely the joke and also a big kudos to Popeye Chicken’s marketing team.

Has not been very long that the collective consciousness would so directly connect popeye and chicken.

I also suspect it is a generational thing. Popeye cartoons were on tv when I was a kid. There was the bad Popeye movie (RIP Robin Williams) but I can’t believe millennials have a strong connection to Popeye the Sailor.

I suspect even younger people probably relate to the chicken first especially with how big the chicken sandwich thing was in the last year.

I would be curious to know where the line is dividing spinach and chicken, in terms of age.

1 Like

Popeye was a good movie imo.

2 Likes

I have always said that Popeye was underrated, but having just watched the final scene on Youtube I am not so sure. “Everything is Food” however is on Spotify and is a small masterpiece.

Popeye is the only movie I remember not liking as a child.

I was a very confused when my stepdaughter from the Midwest used the word Popeye! instead of Padiddle!

I am mixed on it. I was super excited to see it and still have a really strong memory of going to see it with my mom and younger brother but I think it has issues.

That being said I have not watched it in a very long time.

My last office got fax spam from travel agents and roofing companies on a weekly basis.

Somewhere there’s a fax machine in a closet that no one has the key to any more, just endlessly faxing the same travel ad to a string of numbers.

1 Like