Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

When I saw Green Day at Lolla in 2010 their crowd was noticeably older than anyone else I saw that weekend. (I assume Soundgarden would have been similar but they clashed with Arcade Fire)

Different genres seem to age at different rates. Though there are exceptions for some songs/artists, I think it goes

Pop: check use-by date.
Rock
Folk
Blues: I dare some punk to say uncool.
Classical: embalmed, so don’t worry about it

1 Like

https://twitter.com/socalledcharlie/status/1396512227922952194

1 Like

I’m not gonna cite but I seem to recall studies saying the quality that affects popularity the most is familiarity, so it’s not surprising that pop music would tend toward greater homogeneity.

It’s actually a bit confusing as well.

Like why would a business owner even put that up? It’s not like that sign is going to improve business. It’ll chase away deplorables disgusted at having politics shoved in their face or at business serving trans people.

But then trans people and their supporters would be pissed because of the phrase “either biological sex” which denies trans people the ability to identify with the gender that they were not born with.

Why not avoid this whole thing by taking down the sign and put up unisex signs for the restrooms? Hell, you can just tape a piece of paper to the bathroom doors that says “Unisex” and you’re done.

1 Like

LOL no. It’s going to say to the deplorables, “We’re on your team against the libs.”

I mean, there’s like a 95%+ chance the deplorable made it, brought it to the store, put it on the door, took a picture of it, and put it on the internet so that other deplorables can all look at it and get their little dopamine hit from their victimhood culture.

1 Like

My understanding is that the Tenn. legislature passed a law that says that if a business has a bathroom in which a person might encounter a transgender person they have to put up a sign warning the patrons that they might encounter a transgender person.

One way to avoid the sign would be to ban transgender people from using the bathroom, but I’m pretty sure businesses don’t want to do that as that’s going to be a pain in the ass to enforce.

Another way would be to have 3 ( or maybe 4) bathrooms so that cis men and women can use their two bathrooms and trans could use the third one (but even trans people might object to having to use the bathroom with another identified gender, hence 4) and I don’t think businesses are going to like having half their floor plan dedicated to bathrooms, so that’s probably a no go.

So they have to show the sign. Why a business would would make it that big, with a big symbol and warning sign as opposed to a discrete statement placard somewhere, I don’t know.

Edit: nevermind, we now know why

1 Like

See, that’s why it’s confusing.

Anyway, that sign actually is required by law in Tennessee and it is very specific.

That goofy image is clearly unnecessary but a lot of what’s written there is.

It’s quite strange because this is a party that says MUH RIGHTS but simultaneously has no problem with this sort of restriction.

1 Like

I saw Dave Matthews play in Boston a couple of years ago and there were plenty of twenty-somethings along with the Gen-X and Boomers.

I was just a young boy and liked the song then :blush: then later on in life I met one of the people in that video when I played a part on a BBC2 screen play, good times and a great story getting drunk at 15 in the hotel room we were put up in for a weekend, the beeb do look after there people that’s for sure.

1 Like

Bill Burr does tons of bits about overpopulation solving and never includes Dave Matthews Band fans in his population trimming ideas. It wouldn’t be a missed demographic because there’s nothing worse than two DMB fans talking to each other about DMB.

DMB has a great little SA restaurant/bar in charlottesville. i would miss it if it were gone.

A South African restaurant in Charlottesville? No wonder why the white supremacist rally was there.

it’s not far from rob e lee statue

Can you expand on this in this thread: https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/individual-economics-in-the-age-of-covid-19 ?

Need examples. I haven’t read the paper yet, but their point about it being LOUDER seems bizarre to me if the dynamic range hasn’t changed. Like why would you mix/master it to be quieter?

The original article linking the article you posted claims the exact opposite though.

Despite this fact, the Spanish team also found that songs’ “absolute dynamic variability has been conserved” over the years. In other words, the overall dynamic range of recordings – the distance between a song’s quietest and loudest moments – has remained more or less the same.

See also:

That will be just fine. You won’t miss it.

It’s evidently actually a law that just passed:
https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1182