Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Yeah that’s exactly what I was getting at.

Like Devil said though, I. have no idea what makes a song a timeless classic. I don’t think it’s something you can focus on because of the unpredictability of the future. You just have to create a good song and hope for the best.

1 Like

Dunno how big they were in the US, but Crowded House have to be the dad-est of dad rock.

I think they’re known for “Don’t Dream It’s Over” and that’s about it over here.

Think a lot of ppl vastly overestimate what people will still listen to in x years. With the death of radio there aren’t the same gate keepers forcing shitty 70s and 80s bands onto the youth of today.

You often get the same reaction when you introduce Shakespeare to teenagers, its not a great barometer of “timelessness” of art.

One common feature of great art is that it inspires subsequent generations of artists. One approach is to trace backward from popular contemporary musicians to the artists that they (or knowledgeable critics) identify as inspiration.

You’ll see a ton of people wearing the classic joy division/stones shirts who can barely name a song, they’re just classic mall t-shirts.

1 Like

Lucky.

I am going to two shows this summer that I think could now be classified, respectively as Mom (Alanis Morisette, Garbage, Liz Phair) and Dad (Green Day, Weezer, Fall Out Boy) Rock. People my age have great affection / nostalgia for them, but I don’t think most teenagers are into them, and would probably roll their eyes if their parents started cranking “Beverly Hills” or “Ironic”

3 Likes

I’d think oasis is dad rock nowadays, Blur is 100% Dad Rock, Pulp? Yeah them too come to think about it, sorry Jared. :speak_no_evil:

This is a show? Might have to look into this.

3 Likes

These shows sound great to me, particularly the Alanis/Garbage/Liz Phair one. (Which probably cements them as mom/dad rock)

A friend of mine told me that Green Day concerts are multigenerational. The new stuff early gets the teens pumped and they end with the old stuff that their parents love.

That’s pretty rare when you think about it. Normally the fan base ages with the band. They don’t have multigenerational audiences.

Sounds silly but Green Day is a timeless band for that reason.

1 Like

My son likes Weezer. He made a list of his favorite bands when he was a teenager; I may have tossed it, but if I find it, I’ll bump this topic in a month or so.

I used to listen to the alternative station while driving the kids around, so Muse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ting Tings, Gorillaz, etc. Then that station shut down, so I put on the pop station.

Dad rock: Rage Against the Machine

1 Like

Pete Wentz is 41 and has several kids and their first album was in 2003. Face it Bryce, you have an old soul :)

1 Like

Everyone should roll their eyes if anyone ever starts to crank Beverly Hills. That song sucks. Anyways kids probably think of Weezer as the meme band that covered Africa.

1 Like

I asked my kid if I listen to decent music, she scrolled her eyes and said Tik Toc M***********r

:triumph:

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1396868542654566402
https://mobile.twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1396875958234320898

:pensive:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1396871247368183815

1 Like

I really feel my age because I think most new popular music is shit. It’s sanitized and overproduced. Obviously, there’s good stuff but not a lot of it. A lot of it is formulaic, marketed ear candy that sounds pretty much the same as everything else. Anything that’s outside of that window doesn’t get enough exposure to make something of themselves.

I don’t think it’s really a hot take. These academics pointed it out in 2012.

1 Like