Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

What’s even crazier is that the Transgender restroom thing is completely manufactured issue by the right. So like, they manufactured a nonissue that they blamed on the left, it has cycled all the way through the right hive mind and is manifesting bigoted laws that just hurt transgender people even more along with some random business owners. It’s fucking psychotic. Like the right is some paranoid schizophrenic who has us all held hostage and we all have to sit here tied to a fucking chair nervously hoping it’s batshit mind doesnt concoct some delusion that says we all need to die.

4 Likes

The way I look at it is:

Republicans are creating very real solutions (voter suppression, tax policy, legislative log jams, court packing) to imaginary problems (oppression of whites, ANTIFA, transgender people, Pizzagate).

Democrats are creating imaginary solutions (bipartisanship, whites papers from think tanks) to very real problems (climate change, health care coverage, infrastructure, wealth inequality).

16 Likes

Texas is going to pass price caps on insulin, which has to my knowledge been achieved in exactly zero blue states, I’m telling you guys they’re going to figure out ponies + racism is unbeatable.

It just means that the median loudness is higher which is not disputed by anyone. If the absolute dynamic range is 24 dB (and symmetrical) in both cases then the dynamic ranges are (-34 dBFS, -10 dBFS) and (-25 dBFS and -1 dBFS) where 0 dBFS is the maximum level before clipping occurs. This is a perfectly appropriate dynamic range for music like pop and rock.

Most music services and software now have some sort of feature like ReplayGain to equalize loudness between tracks. That SOS article actually turned into a published paper that used that technique to control for loudness and then found people basically had no idea how much compression or lack of dynamic range they were hearing. The perceived loss of dynamic range is most likely just bad use of compression, limiting, and/or other effects.

2 Likes

can’t wait for texas to fuck it up somehow. like a texas market of insulin separate from the rest of the country and not winterized.

1 Like

I don’t think pop music is generally compressed too badly but loss of dynamic range is a problem in other genres where producers use it to try to make mixes sound “lively” or “exciting”, in the process destroying the sound quality. An infamous example is Metallica’s “Death Magnetic”, which features audio sitting up near 0 dB the entire time, with virtually no dynamics. Fans actually remixed the album using the individual audio tracks from the Guitar Hero release, which had not been ruined in this way. Here’s a comparison of the album version versus the Guitar Hero version:

This is an extreme example, but it’s a general problem in the industry.

My friend’s son (14 years old) had people visit his school to deliver an anti-drug message. They had glasses with them that distort vision to supposedly simulate how being off your face makes you unable to operate safely. His friend tried them on and while wearing them fell over and broke his arm. Maybe a little too realistic?

3 Likes

Buy up insulin in Texas, sell it in California? But will there be any? Why would pharma companies sell there? Will there be a die-off of diabetic MAGA in Texas? (I’m not an economist.)

There’s a detailed analysis of exactly that in the soundonsound article I linked. I am intrigued by the alleged shittiness of this album.

It’s not paranoia. It is malice. Their base expects them to deliver on the promise of hurting the “other” people. The cruelty is the point.

1 Like

Only person I know to have ever really been into Jimmy Buffet is my daughter - a few years ago - when she was like 16.

1 Like

Does she know this one?

Buffet wrote the song about musician Eddie Balchowsky, a one-armed veteran of the Spanish Civil War he met while playing in Chicago. On the live album You Had to Be There, Buffett mentions this as a favorite song he wrote.

1 Like

Dunno. She likes monster mash too.

2 Likes

I like it. It sort of reminds me of Vincent by Don McLean. Would be good for my newest walrus category. Who doesn’t like Monster Mash?

1 Like

Halloween? That’s the only time of year I hear it.

1 Like

Ok I never realized there were so many tin foilers making yootoobz about the Loudness Wars(R). Granted, that Metallica album is laughably bad, but on average these dudes seem to have sort of a two parts ViNyL sOuNdS bEtTeR with a dash of jEt FuEl CaN’t MeLt StEeL bEaMs vibe.

So my work is offering a new benefit. 17/mo gets you ‘legal insurance’. Covers wills, trusts, estate planning, traffic tickets, real estate, small claims, irs audit and more.

Is this kind of stuff bullshit? Seems like a solid deal. Which makes me think it’s bullshit.

Maybe actually using it makes your rates go up?

1 Like

Manufactured nonsense against a minority has been the Republican playbook my entire adult life. They milked gay panic for 10,15, 20 years, the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage, and they promptly forgot it as a mainstream talking point.

1 Like

I think it cant because the risk is diffused throughout our company. Just remember how much it cost to do a proper will and shit and this would cover it in full if I’m reading it correctly. Would also cover me a significant amount even if I Gaetz’d it, so seems to good to be true?