Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

In freedumbland for the first time post pandemic. The abortion billboards will never cease to mystify me as a Canadian. Different fucking world.

Are you sure it’s not 80.3%?

I think the only ways to win a match are:
W-W (43%)
W-L-W (15%)
L-W-W (15%)

But I just did this while sitting through a department meeting, so could be wrong.

Surely you will win the first two rounds (65.5%*65.5%) = 42.9% and of the remaining 100-42.9 = 57.1% rounds you will be a winner 65.5%, so thats 57.1%*65.5% = 37.3% chance of winning in round three and

37.3+42.9 = 80.2% you win either in two or three rounds.

Then you use the binomial distribution to work out the rest.

Its 50/50, either I know the answer or I don’t.

1 Like

I don’t think this addresses LLW

I think spidercrab’s reasoning is right

I’m open to you being right, but I’m having trouble following your description. Of the remaining rounds, you’ll be a winner 65.5% of the time?

Here’s the full distribution of outcomes: (The W-W-X and L-L-X columns collapse because the third game wouldn’t be played, but I thought it would be easier to come to an agreement if every equally-likely path was laid out explicitly.)

What if you add Kurt Angle to the mix?

4 Likes

I knew that Texas was into banning books, but a San Antonio school district is banning Cider House Rules? Fuck off.

1 Like

TBF Tobey Maguire is annoying as fuck.

1 Like

OK it is 72.5% if you just plug it into the binomial distribution, my math must have been off.

Your chances of winning drastic go down.

1 Like

So “ship” in this context has been around a long time? Today was definitely the first time I’ve ever heard it and I had a very strong “old man yells at cloud” moment.

1 Like

Yes, it’s been around a while. The concept of slash fiction has been around even longer.

So Twitter asked me these questions:

The remaining questions were trying to determine if I was a dirty liberal.

I don’t know the context of the Mayor Pete quote, but he clearly is just bragging about having read the Power Broker.

1 Like

Posting this mostly because Josh Barro’s comment that there are only two countries with working clothes dryers seems really stupid when you repair a dryer and realize it’s like 3 basic parts. The article does point out that dryers cost like a couple of hundred dollars and last 10 years so the idea that somehow only America is rich enough to afford the good ones is dumb

https://mattbruenig.com/2021/12/08/how-to-compare-incomes-across-countries/

2 Likes

Shakira MTV Unplugged > Dónde Están Los Ladrones? > Pies Descalzos > Fijación Oral, Vol. 2 > Fijación Oral, Vol. 1 > Laundry Service > Sale el Sol > The rest … The Remixes

Have no fear, catwoman PM is here

https://twitter.com/Synthimers/status/1468709114792620034

Millennials ftl

2 Likes

One Buffalo Starbucks voted to unionize.

Domino or domiyes?