Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

We hung out with the (or a) Prince of Denmark at Limelight in NYC on NYE 1999. We didn’t really believe it was him at the time. But I looked it up later and apparently it was.

It’s kind of weird that important, famous, or insanely rich people are actually just ordinary physical beings occupying space and time like the rest of us.

Well, Finland.

I’ve actually been super curious about this for a long time. At one point, I submitted this as a potential debate topic for The Great Debates podcast: Proposition: it’s ok for the president to get drunk.

Johnson and Nixon were drunk all the time, right? I feel like there’s so much infrastructure around them that it wouldn’t be a huge deal. Like, the Chief of Staff could say, “General, I know that President Spidercrab ordered a nuclear strike on Finland. But he’s been drinking Alpha King all day and just needs to go to sleep.” And the general, having witnessed this drunkenness would just agree.

5 Likes

If you are elected President, please consider appointing me Secretary of Assassinations, Extortion and Blackmail.

My son (13) just said to me “At school yesterday somebody shipped the principal and Bob the Builder”. What do you think that means?

• Cursed - the Principal and Bob the Builder should burn in hell
  • Compared - the Principal and Bob the Builder are similar
  • Paired - the Principal and Bob the Builder are a couple
  • Won - the Principal and Bob the Builder now belong to the person who shipped them

0 voters

Results:

It’s “paired”, although my 16 year old says I didn’t exactly describe it correctly. If you “ship” a couple, you are endorsing/giving it your blessing, but you’re also kind of making a prediction that they’ll get together. I guess there’s some nuance.

1 Like

Yeah, this context is super weird, but I’m pleased that I’m super old but still know of the general idea of “shipping”. Like, for The Good Place, you definitely had the Eleanor-Chidi shippers and anti-shippers.

And I was surprised to find out in a recent podcast that there were apparently Leslie-Ron shippers for Parks & Recreation, which is just insane.

I kinda wanted to hate the term, but given the ubiquity of will-they-or-won’t-they plot lines both in media and IRL and that I’m not really thinking of a comparable word for this, it seems like it’s actually fairly useful. Any idea how it got coined? Because the usual definitions of “shipped” could hardly be further from this usage.

Like relationSHIP

2 Likes

Welcome to todays episode of simple maths stuff that I should know but don’t because my ability has atrophied massively (title subject to change)

Consider a situation where you play 3 best of 3 matches I know my per game (not per match) winrate is 65.5% and if you win 2 from the jump you don’t play the 3rd game (don’t know if this matters) what % of the time will I win 0, 1, 2, and 3 matches?

I’m confused by what game and match mean here.

a match is best of 3 games calling the whole thing a game was confusing I see that now.

As far as I know, the term was coined to describe proponents of a Mulder/Scully romantic relationship in X-Files fan fiction.

I’m still confused.

So
Match 1 Game 1 I win
Match 1 Game 2 I win
I win Match 1
Match 2 Game 1 I lose
Match 2 Game 2 I win
Match 2 Game 3 I win
I win Match 2
Match 3 Game 1 I lose
Match 3 Game 2 I win
Match 3 Game 3 I lose
I lose match 3

I go 2-1

On average how often am I going 0-3, 1-2, 2-1, and 3-0 if my game winrate is 65.5%?

Have you ever watched tennis?

So if you win the first two games, you don’t play the third game. But if you win the first two matches, you do play the third match?

yup you always play all 3 matches no matter what

I get:

Probability of winning any given individual match: 72.5%

Outcome of 3 matches:
3-0: 38.1%
2-1: 43.4%
1-2: 16.4%
0-3: 2.1%

2 Likes