Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

i have the anova on its own, but i sometimes wish i had the container for larger things, and a nice lid that helps submerge floating bags. the costco sale is essentially you get the container for free.

is the floating bag an issue? I’ve never had that issue with just pushing the air out with the water pressure.

I get it for the larger stuff, but I’m cooking for 2 99% of the time.

maybe i just suck at pushing the air out, but yeah, they float a lot on me

Monoprice’s 800W is the Wirecutter’s budget pick for sous vide. It’s on sale at Target, but the 1100W version is even cheaper at $53.99.

I vacuum seal my bags when I decarb and they come out expanded from the air still in them. They also float.

Nice! Not really related, but for some reason it made think about Hound Dog Taylor saying he hoped when he died people would say he couldn’t play shit but he sure made it sound good.

That’s a really good price.

Friend suggest them about about a week before the TikTok thing. There was a Vox article on it.

You fundamentally don’t understand Yggy if you think he’d ever have any association with this, or with Greenwald.

The article doesn’t make me dislike her, but it also doesn’t really make me like her either. Tell me being humiliated time after time by your significant other on a national stage doesn’t elicit some empathy? But the article is weird because while it tries to give her humanity (successfully) by talking about her past as a culturally conservative Muslim but then feels empty about what she’s doing now, what lessons she’s learned, etc.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1457838821127696391

In the 90s the camps were 35 years away though.

I fell deeply in love with Austin in the 90’s and will defend the city of that era to the death.

I will probably agree with any criticisms of 2000 - 2009, and not care about anything subsequently because I never went back after that and don’t intend to.

1 Like

What’s wrong with Austin? I thought it was one of the most progressive cities in the country

zikzak left and it went to shit.

3 Likes

Answer: yes

2 Likes

Isn’t it full of tech bros and high real estate costs? And you’re still in Texas so shitbag deplorables are all around you and run the state. Seems like the bad parts of liberal elite places combined with being in a red state, never been there but doesn’t sound so great to me.

The city puts way too much effort into being Austin™. It feels very forced and affected. Everything genuine that made it once great has been replaced with a repackaged inferior version, focus-grouped and sold for a premium.

This is the city I loved. It was really like this, and it was wonderful.

3 Likes

You can get a deep polycarbonate hotel pan with a lid on Amazon for really really cheap.

A lid is not what you need here, since the top of the bag will still be above the water, which is bad. You need one of these things, which I think is an accordion style folder holder:

For floaty things, you can put it upside down over the bag and it will hold it fully submerged.

1 Like