Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Like many people I discovered Billy Strings via a viral youtube video. He can play the hell out of a guitar. Not sure if this is the original link but:

5 Likes

As a measure of how out of touch I am with modern music and youth culture, until this morning I was picturing Travis Scott as a white country singer with a beard. Possibly I was thinking of Luke Combs(?) LOL me.

(Randy Travis and Travis Tritt no doubt also contributing subconsciously to my misconception.)

1 Like

On the subject of old men and music, given the age group here I assume there are some other Mountain Goats fans. If you are an old dude like me and you like the Mountain Goats, you might not know that the song No Children just became a thing on TikTok. Although if I’m posting about it, the kids have probably already moved on to something else.

2 Likes

It’s basically the perfect song for this moment in history lol.

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/1457689514902654980

1 Like

https://twitter.com/uaustinorg/status/1457665510699589636

This is the most ambitious right wing project since Glenn Beck’s Utopian Community, Independence, USA.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1457738811966906386

1 Like

kind of surprised. I’m sure some conservative donor would have tried to open some institution at UT if she would have pitched it. They’re opening a Liberty Institute institute at UT with some donation from rich conservative alumni.

I only found the mountain goats last year but i love that song and my google feed sent me plenty of headlines about the tiktok thing, good for them

Greenwald and Yggy didn’t get invited to become faculty?

Just got home from two Billy Strings shows. Have 6 more next month.

3 Likes

Finally. An educational institution from people who don’t believe in education.

1 Like

Re: Billy Strings

He’s just the best dude too besides being talented af.

3 Likes

PSA for the upcoming holiday season -

If you do ham for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I highly, highly recommend getting one of these from New Braunfels Smokehouse. I go back and forth between the two every year, but they are both absolutely delicious and way better than anything you could normally get. I do tend to lean towards the bone-in ham so I can make split pea soup with the leftovers.

3 Likes

What’s funny is that it isn’t even his real name. He was born Jacques Bermon Webster II.

The fact that the whitest name you could think of, Travis Scott, is a black rapper makes up for the Tyrone I know that is a white guy. The universe needs balance.

1 Like

Literally a stones throw from the UT Austin campus. Is this supposed to be an offshoot of that or it’s own entity?

Speaking of tx I’m surprised no one posted about Ted Cruz speech saying tx would secede from the union and Joe Rogan would be their new president lol

It’s got to be its own entity, or else there would be some announcement from the university. Got to imagine they’re just trying to have some of the UT name rub off like University Phoenix did and other do by trying to closely match actual university names.