Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Local shool board elections are coming up in a couple of weeks, and they’ve gotten insanely political. These are going out in the mail:

There are signs up all over the place, rivaling the number you’d see at the height of the 2020 election. And it turns out that one local person–complaining that our right-wing board isn’t right-wing enough–has donated $10,000 each to the two most extreme candidates. Just a complete shitshow.

1 Like

Good lord. LOL at this write up in the Columbus paper, I read this and learned absolutely nothing.

$10k donations for school board candidates? That guy must think this race is… critical.

15 Likes

Critical Race Theory was a genius move by the GOP. They’re going to own the entire primary education system.

1 Like

I think we’re just going to eventually end up with intense geographic polarization. We’re living in completely different universes.

99.9% of normal citizens completely tune out local politics like school board elections. Easiest thing in the world to print out a few END CRITICAL RACE THEORY flyers and fire up MAGA chuds in huge blocs.

1 Like

I watched something on the Brandon Lee death on Netflix awhile back and it occurred when an actor fired a blank from a gun that had a real bullet lodged halfway down the barrel. Because blanks apparently don’t look like real bullets, so there’s a second type of fake round composed of a real bullet with like 1% of the necessary gunpowder, designed to simply move out of the firing chamber into the barrel and stop.

• They were new to the area, from SF. Tremendous hiking temperature difference.
  • They had never done this trail before.
  • The loop is down and then up, always more dangerous.
  • It was 109 with no shade as they came up 2000’ of switchbacks.
  • They had no cell service.
  • They had no hats.
  • One camelback with 85 ounces wasn’t nearly enough for conditions.

I’ve run out of water in extreme heat a couple times, it’s bad. Never with a tough climb remaining.
A delorme inreach would have covered up quite a few mistakes.

1 Like

Nah they are going to own the shit out of us. They will rig the shit out of Congress and executive and impose their will on us.

By the time boomers die off it will be so entrenched and normalized it will be super hard to shack off.

I doubt liberal states will straight up leave the union

I did go to the hot spring with friends. It was like 90 but super hilly. We partied all day at the hot springs and it was a rough hike back. Was only like 2 miles but they aren’t in great shape and it was a huge struggle for them.

Also no cell service but there were plenty of people going each way and I brought a ton of water.

So I kind of get it but am still flabbergasted

Also they brought a 1-year-old baby. I assume they got to a point where the switchbacks were the quickest way to the car, and maybe the baby was struggling, so they felt like up the switchbacks was their only option.

The dog part was throwing me though. It was only 1.5 miles to the car. You’d think the dog would have at least run off. However, redditors are saying the dog was tethered to the man, which would explain a lot. But I haven’t confirmed that.

Seems like maybe the man and the possibly the baby were struggling. So she decided to run to the car to get help, probably in a delirious panic, and passed out only a little ways up the trail. Really sad.

One thing that isn’t 100% clear is if any of them survived to the night. I doubt it because they would probably have tried to get to a shady place.

100+ degrees, good lord I wouldn’t try a single mile in that kind of weather.

2 Likes

Yeah a mile of flat with no shade would be sketchy. 2000’ of switchbacks would be insane. The more I think about it, I bet the baby was struggling, which caused them to go into a full panic. Otherwise they might have turned around and gone back the way they came, or waited it out until the sun went down. They may have used up a lot of their water pouring it over the baby.

I “hiked” about 1/2 mile of fully flat partially shaded terrain in Valley of Fire state park in Nevada at 115 degrees, just to see what it felt like. It felt like hell.

1 Like

The heck were you expecting? Serious risk of heat stroke for anyone over ~25 years old.

Yeah it was just to look at some things and see what it felt like. It was a 1/4 mile walk from the air-conditioned car and back. Lots of other people were around.

I’ve taken a nap in the shade at 110 before. It wasn’t pleasant but it’s doable.

1 Like

Aren’t you part Irish? You’re playing Russian Roulette with melanoma doing that, shit is no joke.

I had 500 horrible sunburns as a kid. My mom sent me to the neighborhood pool as a baby sitter. Apparently sunscreen technology hadn’t reached the midwest in the 70s. I used to get blisters on top of blisters.

I’m either gonna get melanoma for that or I’m not. Nothing I do now matters.

Also it’s not like I’m out there hiking without a hat and lots of sunscreen. I have a full visor for my face like the old Korean ladies. But a more badass version for men.

Cool thing about melanoma is that recent immunotherapy has saved or prolonged tons of lives with metastatic melanoma, which used to be a death sentence. My dad was in one of the major trials and did great. Jimmy Carter is somehow alive because of that therapy. It’s been a massive breakthrough.

10 Likes

My old neighbor does summer training (Army) in Death Valley with full gear on. He says they force hydrate people who aren’t ingesting enough liquids but you would think there would more deaths/sicknesses. I’m still skeptical here.

In Phoenix we have multiple mountain rescues every year of people (usually tourists) who think they can go hiking when it’s above 100. Unless you are very experienced and acclimated to high-heat hiking, it’s just idiotic and borderline suicidal.

But this Yosemite thing sounds more like they started out with reasonable temps and the heat caught them by surprise. I had been assuming they went out into that heat, but apparently not. So maybe more bizarre and tragic accident than unforgivable stupidity.

The trail has several steep inclines and the couple had hiked approximately 6.1 miles in temperatures ranging from the mid 70s to around 108 degrees, according to Briese. The trail had little to no shade, he said.

I used to do a bit of summertime extreme heat mountain biking. It’s can be challenging and exhilarating to flirt with heat exhaustion and come out unscathed. Also pretty stupid and reckless obviously.